RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding season is upon us. I would like to know some of your favorite methods, tools, products, etc. for making your bikes look their best.
What do you use on fairings to bring them back to new?
How about wheels, frame/swingarm, ?
Tips and tricks for detail cleaning?
I’m interested in hearing what others have found to work best for them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So many of us use different products and will swear by them.

I don't do any wet weather riding on my good bikes, so don't have the problem with road salt and grit and mud splashes inside fairings and fenders.

I do not believe (for my own purposes) in hose and pressure washing. For paintwork I will use the two bucket method: one with a wash/polish 'detergent' and the other with clear water to final rinse. I use either fine sponge cloth or microfiber cloth.

For paintwork interim polishes, I use only Mr Sheen. Not sure if that's available in USA, but it is a reasonably cheap 'all-in-one' furniture polish. It has no abrasive agents. Once every few months, depending on useage, I will wax with either Simoniz or AutoGlym.

Rear sprocket I clean first with WD40 and then polish with Mr Sheen. Also use Mr Sheen for chrome and alloy and Autosol for headers and any bolt heads that need restoring.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my particular case, I picked up a 2003 that is in good shape but has been sitting for awhile. I am looking to give it a good detailed cleaning and bring it back to life.
I don’t want to use anything that will dull the finish on the plastics or make matters worse.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You might need to source a USA polish with a VERY fine cutting agent to lift off the layer of grime and blemish.:wink2:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mr Clean Magic Eraser will clean of the grime /blemishes from plastics before you set about polishing them, brings just about anything off and doesnt harm the paint. Simply amazing for body panels. I assume that you have them in the USA, check your wifes kitchen supplies and raid at will.

Faded black plastic I use "Kleen Flo Vinyl and Rubber Care", followed by Mothers Back to Black. You can transform faded mirrors and switch gear in a few days of soaking With the Kleenflo product. Ive turned stuff that was almost white back to a nice black finish
For polishing the plastics and paint:

If the paint work is in good shape or has been cleaned up already, ill use Motul Shine & Go, or Plexus (fantastic stuff. but not cheap)

To put a shine on those hard to reach places full of black bits (like down by the triple clamps full of hoses and cables etc, I use "SC1", new bike in a can, awesome stuff.

If the paint needs a fine polish first, ie a bit of resurrection, ill use McGuiars paint cleaner followed by McGuiars Polish and finally Carnuba Wax.

For Metal -- Autosol and Neverdull (Duraglit in Europe it used to be called)

Cleaning really greasy and dirty stuff - WD40, Castrol SuperClean, or Brake Cleaner depending on the specific parts needing to be cleaned

·
Registered
239 Posts
Careful with the Castrol Superclean on aluminum , it's corrosive , especially to aluminum. Aluminum left soaking in it would eventually disappear. It's the same thing as liquid drain opener.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yep, for sure, thats why it depends what im cleaning and which product I use. Good to call that out though Joe, wouldn't want anyone to F'k up their aluminum >

1 - 8 of 8 Posts