RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cleaning Dirty Pipes (Help!)

So my header pipes are a bit dirty looking and I'd like to clean them up a bit. I'd rather try a few things before sending them to get ceramic coated.

Things I've tried:
WD-40
Honda Glass Cleaner
Honda Spray Polish
3 Different Brake/Contact Cleaners
Nevr dull
Paint Stripper

The pipe looks stained to me, but I'm miffed.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
That isn't titanium. And it looks stock to me. Oven cleaner may work (and the stuff where you put it in the oven with heat too).

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Not Ti for sure, I am also pretty sure that is not an OEM header as well. See the bung for spring attachment.....OEM does not have that. That is an Akra header no ???? Stainless steel is what it is if that is the case.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, when I purchased the bike, the guy said it was an Akra full system. I knew the muffler pieces were titanium so I figured it went the entire length of the pipe... the header pipes have a slight blue tinge to them so I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I was going to post a caveat of my limited interpretation of stock. Nice catch DH.

No bad on you Raylee. The forum comes through again like the all seeing oracle. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I've seen those pipes before. In my garage. :)
They're Akrapovic stainless.
The mufflers and link pipes are titanium though.
I took a polishing wheel to mine as a test. Looked real pretty until the next time they got hot.
If you want to prevent surface corrosion, you can ceramic coat the head and mid-pipes, both inside and out.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
They were pretty when they were new. Too bad they don't stay that way.
If they had more nickel and chrome in the alloy, they wouldn't be like this, but they wouldn't be durable.
Less nickel and chrome makes then durable, but they discolor.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mmmm... that does look pretty. Well, I've heard a lot of good things about ceramic coating as far as moving heat further downstream and creating better exit velocity, but I'm still deciding as to how much longer I want to keep the bike on stands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts