RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm installing a new set of Gilles light clip-ons. I noticed when I pulled off the oem ones they have an indention in them maybe half an inch from the bottom that rides on the stopper ring on the forks. My new clip-ons dont have that so when installed on the forks they sit on top of the stopper ring which in turn has them sitting a half inch higher. This raises the top of the triple tree when installed and is making my clutch & brake reservoirs hit the upper.

The stopper ring is there for a reason obviously but in order to make these work I need to remove it and push the clip-ons down. Just want to make sure I'll be alright and to see if anybody else with aftermarket clip-ons has run into this issue.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Yeah, just pull the rings off. You can bend the brake res bracket a little and get more clearance. The only way to get more with the clutch is to go with a remote reservoir. (I have seen someone that installed on onto the stock clutch master, but I can't seem to find it anywhere)

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The stopper ring was there probably as a safety device in case someone loosened all the bolts on the top and bottom clamps.
Or possibly to limit the amount the forks can be raised in the clamps.
It's the only purpose I can see for it.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
My first career in the industrial world. I worked at a Honda dealership, in Dade Co. FL. as a Set-up tech.
Those are guide rings, for the set-up process in the dealership- for exactly as Subsailor specified.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts