RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased an RC, it's been my dream bike since I started riding, and I'm looking to upgrade some things. I've read a few threads and tried to research as much as possible about clip-ons but I figure the best way to find out what works well is to ask the riders.

So what do you prefer. Kyle Racing, Gilles, Vortex......who has input on what's worth the money and what just doesn't do well. I'm looking for either a different angle to take some weight of my wrists/palms or just an adjustable. Does anyone know the actual angle of the stock clip-ons? :confused:

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I own the D.Kyle clip-ons on the 03' and Sato on the 06'.. and would like a little more ability of adjustment..
D.Kyle don't have the hinge in the middle of clip-on.. makes for more indepth installation..

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought a set of Apex adjustable clipons from sportbiketrackgear. From my research they appear to adjust very similarly to the Dan Kyle/Sato units with the eccentric end of the clipon (for a lot less $$). Basically as you rotate the bar the downward angle can be adjusted. I've got mine set to a very neutral position, much flatter than stock especially when viewed from the front. I might play with more down angle once I start getting on track though. I can't comment on their crash-worthiness but replacement bars are only $14.95 fwiw.

The biggest issue is clearing the fairing when you start playing with the angles. It took some trial and error with the control locations before I could go lock to lock with out killing the engine or flipping on the high beam :)

Apex also makes a version that has a riser but I think somebody tried them on the 51 and quickly determined there wasn't enough clearance.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I bought a set of Apex
The biggest issue is clearing the fairing when you start playing with the angles. It took some trial and error with the control locations before I could go lock to lock with out killing the engine or flipping on the high beam :)
Hey DAS, I had this problem with the S-hawk when I put the 2-1/4 in. Heli risers..
Go and get (12) 10mm stainless washers -Put the washers between the fairing and the upper fairing stay (on the mirror mounting bolts)
It worked to raise the fairing / high enough to leave the switches alone..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the inputs guys. I haven't checked out Apex so that may be something to look into.

Anyone else have aftermarket ones that they've had good luck with?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
thanks Chaos - I didn't even think about that! I'll try that tonight.

Adrenaline - 9hondas made his own non-adjustable clip-ons that look pretty stout, http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-sport-twins-classifieds/67185-rc-handlebars-available.html

I think Woodcraft and Vortex also make non-adjustable clipons that mimic the stock ergo's but have replaceable bars.
Thanks for passing that link along here dasrider. I really like pics of someone building something. I wish I had a little more funds available, I'd buy a set of those clip-ons! He might even be sold out by now...

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
I have some Heli bars and they are perfect. Went on with no issue and plenty of clearance. They also have a more comfortable angle which helps relieve a little pressure on my arms and back for a bit more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
264 Posts
BIG + for the boys and girls at sportbiketrackgear.com great place to deal with, I can't wait to spend more money with them.

DAS,
I've been looking at the Apex clip-ons, How long are the bars? I'm looking for a wider grip then my OEM's

Thanks,
James
yup, STG has always been good to deal with.

You're probably getting another 1.5 inches or so with the Apex bars. The bars end where my mirror is clamped on. Definitely wider than stock.

In the last picture the bar almost looks crooked but I assure you it is straight.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
yeah, i'm sure if you contact him and let him know that, he will give you a fair price....maybe he is mistaking them for the adjustable risers which are 279 new

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I have the DK ones and really like the adjust-ability. I have mine set as wide, as flat, and as high as I can get them without interference. When/if i switch to radial Masters I should be able to come up a little more right to where i want them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Helli bars

The are the trick but I don't think they make them anymore??? :confused:
A much better riding position, well for old guys anyway :D Hoovy

1 - 20 of 50 Posts