RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys have a issue with my clocks which has me driven mad 馃槨
Basically the clocks only seem to work when they want when they go off it鈥檚 only the Rev counter and speed the backlight and neutral light work fine .
Now from what I鈥檝e read here first thing to check is the two brown black wires which have a constant 12v heading into clocks .
I鈥檝e recently stripped whole bike and all connectors are fine .
I鈥檝e open the clocks and the circuit board looks like new I can see any damaged solder or anything.
So now I鈥檓 stumped and not sure where to go now as I can鈥檛 get my hands on another set of clocks to try them.
So am I correct in saying if I have 12v on the two brown black wires that the clocks are fooked?

Registered
just to be clear, you're talking about the black/brown wires correct? mostly black with a brown stripe? because there's also a brown/black wire that goes to the fuel level thermistor that will show 12v when disconnected.

there are a lot of issues that arise in the large grey connector at the front harness. i'd unpin the black/browns and all the greens and scrub them with a wire brush, and if need be pinch the female terminals slightly so they grip better on the males.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I did check for power on black brown wire and was getting 12 both sides of that grey connector. I didn鈥檛 check earth so I will check that. The backlight is working fine on clocks bout no readout
Strange thing when I was fiddling around I noticed that when I engaged front brake the backlight on clocks light up but very dim.
Can not understand why that would happen as this bike has never been butchered in any way apart from aftermarket brake light on undertail

Registered
just jump the two black/browns together at the back of the plug on the dash and see what happens. they're fed from the same source.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I鈥檓 getting 12.7 on the first black brown and 11.2 on the other. I鈥檓 just gonna have to try find another set of clocks I reckon . It鈥檚 annoying if I leave the bike overnight the clocks will work for ten seconds and the turn off

Attachments

Registered
there is only one black/brown in that picture.

the other one is somewhere else in the connector, but not in that picture. are you sure you're measuring the right wires

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I don鈥檛 see two black brown wires on that block connector pics of both sides below also tail light has two browns don鈥檛 see black brown. Thanks for the reply鈥檚 and patience with me fellas

Attachments

Registered
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok i see what's going on here. you've got a Euro model. (i shouldn't have assumed you were from the US, it says where you're from on your profile)

the illumination wire for your dash is the brown wire.

you'll see the black/brown on the far left of the row of wires in your fourth picture. the brown wire in position four is the illumination wire.

similarly you'll see the solid brown in the grey connector as well.

this solid brown comes from the lighting switch on the left side controls (assuming you have the bar controls with the slider switch), when you set the switch to illumination, it will light up the run lights in the front, as well as the dash.

as a test, you can jump the black/brown to the brown at the grey connector and see if your dash lights up, it probably will.

if the slider switch won't provide power to the brown, then you know where to start looking.

i'm sorry, i've never actually laid eyes on a euro bike before, just read the diagrams, so pardon me for assuming you had a model without the illumination switch.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Yes so the black brown defo has a constant 12v and brown has a 12v when slider is on so it鈥檚 got to be within clicks hasn鈥檛 it? I鈥檝e read a post on here that someone mentioned that the connection between lcd and circuit board can corrode on these so to remove lcd and clean pins from lcd.
I鈥檓 hesitant to do this as I鈥檓 afraid of ruining clocks totally and the clocks seem absolutely mint inside and have been dry stored since day one

Registered
jumper 12v from the black/brown onto the brown right where it goes into the dash. also consider jumpering your grounds together at the dash connector. that may help you to find the offending wire.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update : I鈥檝e tried everything wibbly recommended and nothing seemed to work so I put it down to the clocks. Spoke to a few friends and eventually found someone whom I never met through a friend who was willing to try my clocks on his bike and they didn鈥檛 work.
Now I have found a old post on here that someone said they had issues with a pin which connected the lcd screen to the circuit board so I鈥檓 gonna try that tomorrow fingers crossed .
Thanks for your help wibbly

Registered
I'd seriously doubt that the LCD screen is not connected in any fashion.....
But then again, I've yet to open one up (and hope I never have to)

Registered
the backlighting is just from LEDS behind the screen.

but you said you tried a different display and that one didn't work either. so it's pretty clear it's not the display.

you need to find the wiring problem, i can't give you any more ideas than i already have. keep digging. maybe measure for 12v on the brown to each ground. maybe there's a bad ground that's preventing the backlighting from working.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
@Dutchy yes nothing connecting to any part of the screen I鈥檓 totally baffled, I鈥檓 gonna take pics later @Wibbly sorry wibbly maybe you misunderstood me I have tried my tacho on a differant bike and they didn鈥檛 work either so it鈥檚 down to the clocks.
Backight works fine as does the light cluster on bottom of unit . So basically just the lcd reason

Registered
oh jesus my bad.

there is no wiring between the board and the LCD. the way the LCD screens work is they have a rubber connector strip at the edge of them with conductors buried in it. the strip sits against contacts on the board at one side and the LCD on the other side.

when you open the clocks and remove the retainer plate for the LCD, you'll see this rubber strip at the edge of the LCD.

you can pull the LCD off, then remove the rubber strip (it just sits there, it's not glued in place or anything), and clean both sides of the strip, then reinstall)

that's it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I鈥檓 guessing it鈥檚 the white rubber strip with the block strip down the middle if so it did seem to be held in by something so I just cleaned the contacts on circuit and along the front of rubber and still didn鈥檛 work .
I will try harder to get rubber out tomorrow and clean other side and if that don鈥檛 work I think it鈥檚 time to get new clocks unfortunately

1 - 20 of 32 Posts