RC51 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It's not held in with anything.

Worst case buy a set of gauges (maybe even damaged) and swap the LCD.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
There is a tiny rubber strip with metal filaments running through it that connects the boards together. Both the rubber strip and the connecting patch on both boards needs to be cleaned. I used denatured alcohol and Q-Tips in many cases where proper contact cleaner was not available, being careful not to leave any material behind.

Also be careful not to deform the rubber strip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I tried that and still no joy. I think I’ll try clean it once more and after that it’s new clocks as soon as things clear up with this Coronavirus craziness

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I really did hope this would work but the contacts were like new with no corrosion anywhere in clocks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Are you sure it would just be that? These clocks worked intermittently so for a few weeks they were either on or off before finally fully turning off. Could that big chip on circuit board be damaged ?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It could always be something different. No doubt this could be something I have not encountered yet. What I do know is that I have fixed at least 4 RC51 dash boards from intermittent or partial display by just cleaning them carefully. I remember resoldering one once too, but cannot recall why. I think they screwed up an LED swap or something

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you ever figure out your dash/clocks? i don’t have a speedometer and have tested wiring, sender unit, I even took the instrument cluster apart and looked over the PCB but I’m not an expert in that field so I put it back together and still no digits of speed. hopefully you have had better luck N11?

·
Registered
43 Posts
LDH, so when you take the unit apart, is it usually pretty corroded inside and that’s the cause of the problems? My speedometer doesn’t work, no digits displayed but everything else works and when I split the cases the interior was pretty spotless but I was really nervous to do anything that might make it worse! At least my tach works right? I should buy a sender unit I guess but I hate throwing parts at a problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Did you ever figure out your dash/clocks? i don’t have a speedometer and have tested wiring, sender unit, I even took the instrument cluster apart and looked over the PCB but I’m not an expert in that field so I put it back together and still no digits of speed. hopefully you have had better luck N11?
yes mine just decided to work again for no reason.
baffles me how they didn’t work straight after cleaning contact but then after a week lying up after cleaning they decided to work again no problem And still.
Only problem now is the trip meter resets after I switch off power but that’s no biggy

·
Registered
43 Posts
The trip meter resetting is probably the fuse marked odometer has blown or Theres a bad connection to the fuse. It’s common on these bikes

21 - 32 of 32 Posts