RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I picked up a 00 RC51 with 45,000. I believe it has the original plates and basket. I am getting a really interesting clutch action. So I'm in the market for a new clutch basket (soon at least). Who has replaced thier basket with an aftermarket unit? Who all makes baskets and which ones work best? Can I use the judder plates in the 00 bike?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wow, same me when i picked my 2000 Rc51 with milage 42,000...I nearly bought hyper plate but decided to get slipper instead. What i heard from the manufacture that hyper aluminium plate does not goes well with slipper clutch(go to Scottsms)....as for clutch basket...u can ask subsailor or jogs...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Who's slipper did you buy?
Bought with Scottsms..Scoot told me is the same as yoyodyne....but yoyodyne slipper is TSS...i spoke to the TSS tech & it is not good idea to used Hyper aluminium plate with their poduct..Further more Scott give a good price..tell him i recommended u..

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought with Scottsms..Scoot told me is the same as yoyodyne....but yoyodyne slipper is TSS...i spoke to the TSS tech & it is not good idea to used Hyper aluminium plate with their poduct..Further more Scott give a good price..tell him i recommended u..
I have never been a fan of Aluminuim plates. The seem to wear ALLOT quicker and contaminate the oil quicker also (dirt bike experience).

Its probably not your basket. You just need new discs, plates and springs.

For a basket you probably want to look at ThorstenDurbahn

For a slipper clutch look at JTR or go here to Scotts http://www.scottsms.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_105&sort=20a&page=4
So you would go with thorsten over honda? I've tried tooking at his site but can never find any parts. I guess he also makes a cable converstion but I can't find that either.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Was ready to pull the trigger on Durbahn's lightweight clutch basket.
So I sent him an email asking for price and lead time to ship.
Got the reply back that he no longer makes them.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have never been a fan of Aluminuim plates. The seem to wear ALLOT quicker and contaminate the oil quicker also (dirt bike experience).

So you would go with thorsten over honda? I've tried tooking at his site but can never find any parts. I guess he also makes a cable converstion but I can't find that either.
Hell yeah !!! Why put a stock clutch basket back in when you can spend some extra cash and get a light weight version??? But according to sub he doesn't make them any more. I cant find them on his site either. I still don't think the basket is your problem though. He does make a cable clutch conversion and it cost a pretty penny but from what I heard its pretty nice.

Go here to look at his Honda stuff http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/bikes/Honda

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looks like stock will have to be it. I have not found an after market basket. I have had quite a few baskets go bad (get notched) and this one feels like it. I will not know until I open her up but I want all my option on the table before that happens.

Thanks for the link. I WISH I WAS RICH. those are some nice bling.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Yeah too bad about Durbahn's clutch basket not available anymore.
That baby was over 2 lbs lighter than stock.
The loss of that much rotational mass would be great for shifting or engine acceleration.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i went with a yoyodyne slipper --- and love it!! --- i listened to Scott --- he knows his shit!!
Yo waterman, did u used back the clutch plate or aftermarket?

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey mighty max ---- i used the hyperplates --- and i also do something that most people don't do --- i use ty bolts to lighten up the clutch rotating mass --- i don't recomend this at all --- i live dangerously --LOL

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Not necessarily risky.
Some titanium bolts are stronger than grade 8 steel bolts.
You just have to find the right supplier.
I was thinking to doing the same thing, to replace the bolts for the pressure plate with titanium.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts