RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
You should be able to remove it without fluid leaking out, if you notice where you oil level is at. All the oil will be in the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Yep, it's replacable without draining the oil. I see them for sale - used but in perfect condition from time to time. Keep an eye out perhaps?

Smash the old one with a sledge hammer and throw small pieces into a bonfire sometimes. It'll be entertaining but magnesium makes a lot of white heat so don't put it all in in one go! :eek:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Maybe Duckie may mold a OEM carbon cover to protect the magnesium?...hint hint.

Put the bike on the sidestand you will not loose any oil...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I'd replace it. $100 isn't really that much and that combined with the brake lever would annoy the piss out of me.
+1 :p - I'd tend to agree with b.miller123. Just spend the cash & sort it out.
If you don't - in 10 years when they're 3-5 times the price you'll wish you had. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
With the bike on the side stand, you can remove the clutch cover with little worry of oil leakage.
I pulled my entire clutch stack out to check for wear using this method.

The clutch cover uses an o-ring style rubber gasket, and if it partially sticks to the crankcase cover due to heat or age, you can carefully orient it and put it back into the grooves on the cover (or replace it with new).
The clutch cover gasket is held into place by a few retainers molded into the cover.

Now if you are removing the right crankcase cover, then you might run into some leakage due to oil pooled in nooks and crannies.
But if the engine has not been started over night and in an upright position, most of the oil has drained into the sump.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
With the bike on the side stand, you can remove the clutch cover with little worry of oil leakage.
I pulled my entire clutch stack out to check for wear using this method.
Now if you are removing the right crankcase cover, then you might run into some leakage due to oil pooled in nooks and crannies.
But if the engine has not been started over night and in an upright position, most of the oil has drained into the sump.
Absolutely correct in fact mine is on my lift right now on a swingarm stand so the bike is up right and straight, with the clutch cover off and not a drop of oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts