RC51 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed my clutch would pull all of the way to the grip before it would disengage (or engage, I always get these terms confused), felt like there was air in the system. I bled the clutch last night and that resolved that issue. Now I have the opposite, the clutch disengages at the very end of the lever. Did I overfill the system? My plan tonight was to take off the slave, press the piston back in to reset the slave cylinder and remove any excess fluid. I have read on here that this could be the result of a worn clutch, but I doubt that is the case as the clutch felt fine just last week.

Am I on the right track with my thinking? I have yet to look through the service manual, but anything I need to be on the lookout for? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
the system is auto adjusting, an over filled reservoir cannot impact the lever travel.

so long as the slave is free to travel all the way to the rest position (engage the clutch), then there is no adjustment possible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the system is auto adjusting, an over filled reservoir cannot impact the lever travel.

so long as the slave is free to travel all the way to the rest position (engage the clutch), then there is no adjustment possible.
Thanks. Is it possible that the slave needs to be reset? If there was air in the system is it possible that the salve could not retract completely? Then when I bled the system the slave has a new "home" position?

there is no free play in the lever at all, the clutch activation is instant.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Me, personally, I would replace the gasket with new. Trying to reuse old gaskets is false economy and asking for headaches.
I would go back and bleed the system again just to make sure the problem isn’t something easy before taking things apart.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
no, the slave can't be "reset", and no, air in the system won't cause that.

if it's bound up it's probably dicked. but i doubt it is.

the gasket behind the slave cylinder doesn't really do anything except keep schmoo out of the slave. it's not a critical seal it just keeps the outside world to the outside.

it sounds to me that you've had a shitty clutch lever so long you've forgotten what it's supposed to feel like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a 2000 that I just bought that has been sitting for 11 years untouched by the previous owner. I changed all of the fluids once I bought it, plus a host of other things. The first few rides went well and the clutch felt fine. I headed out last week for a 250 mile ride and the clutch pulled all of the way to the bar by rides end. I checked for fluid leaking, but didn't see anything. Rebled the clutch, and it felt better, but the lever was at the opposite end for engagement and still didn't feel normal. Took another short ride today and confirmed that the oil in the reservoir had been lost. Pulled the slave cylinder and a bunch of fluid poured out.

I have ordered a new spring, piston, seal and oil seal and will rebuild the slave cylinder next week. Looking forward to having a properly functioning clutch again.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
if it's been sitting a long time, you'll want to pull the master cylinder apart and clean it out at the very least. the ports between the reservoir and system are prone to clogging and can cause issues with clutch slipping when hot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if it's been sitting a long time, you'll want to pull the master cylinder apart and clean it out at the very least. the ports between the reservoir and system are prone to clogging and can cause issues with clutch slipping when hot.
Yeah, might as well be sure the system is in proper working order from top to bottom. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
when i first restored my 2004 RC51 i got it together, rode it around the neighborhood and when it was stopped (with the clutch in) in 1st, clutch lever would go soft, it would lurch forward VERY VERY Sketchy.

but would then immediately build pressure again.

$30 OEM clutch master rebuild kit took care of that, but still a very odd problem to have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts