RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I have my bike and clutch all apart, I've been thinking about changing out the clutch plates just because it's apart.

All I've been able to find is OEM replacement parts or the Barnett kit.

Okay, now on to my questions.
What other options are available?
What is the best for street use?
If Barnett, Kevlar or Carbon?

Thanks gents

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I went with Barnett Kevlar almost two years ago. Stirctly because of cost, they were about 1/2 price over OEM. What was interesting to me, is Barnett uses one extra steel and clutch disc in the pack. I guess that would give you a little more friction grabbing surface area.
I've been perfectly happy with the performance.

OEM's on the left. Barnett on the right.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
The Barnett kit is a really good kit, much better engagement in race type conditions, but it does dirty up the oil really quickly...
LDH which plates would you run in a Yoyodyne slipper clutch?

i have always used OEM (standard clutch not on the yoyo) but the cost leaves me a little reluctant to use OEM again, Barnett seems to be good for the money.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts

i have always used OEM but the cost leaves me a little reluctant to use OEM again, Barnett seems to be good for the money.
This is my question also. I know the Yoyodyne (as I am sure all the other brands) are very critical about the stack height. With Barnett adding a couple extra disks (one steel and one fiber) this could cause problems.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Subscribed for future use :D

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

i have always used OEM (standard clutch not on the yoyo) but the cost leaves me a little reluctant to use OEM again, Barnett seems to be good for the money.
I don't have an answer for that. I've ridden a few rc's with various brands of slipper clutches installed, but I never installed one in my own rc which leaves me without any real experience to pull from.

I will say though that if the yoyodyne clutch is designed to work with OEM plates then to me that is the obvious choice. They may be expensive, but they are very good products just look how long most OEM Honda clutch packs last.

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
I don't have an answer for that. I've ridden a few rc's with various brands of slipper clutches installed, but I never installed one in my own rc which leaves me without any real experience to pull from.

I will say though that if the yoyodyne clutch is designed to work with OEM plates then to me that is the obvious choice. They may be expensive, but they are very good products just look how long most OEM Honda clutch packs last.
ok thanks for the input, i think ill have to spring for OEM again, i suppose no use cheaping out now!:D

have you heard about yoyo slipper clutches having a heavily accelerated wear pattern on the clutch packs? i know these slipper clutches are primarily for track use, however with gentle street/mountain use would this still be a problem?

Got my FG322 & H0204 back from y'all, looks great!! cant wait to "finish" the bike:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
so

slipper clutch=OEM is probably best choice

OEM clutch= barnett or OEM is fine

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've doing a lot of reading on the CF or Kevlar plates.
It seems that Kevlar slips less during clutch engagement/disengagement, while the CF plates can take heat better. Kevlar plates are more suited for the track where feathering is not as needed and the CF ones are for the street and are less likely to chatter. But overall from what I’ve read, I feel that the average rider (me) wouldn't know that difference between the two.

I found one site saying that CF and Kevlar both have about 30 times higher friction coefficient of OEM organic friction plates but will only last about 2/3 as long when properly installed and not overly abused (clutching it up or drag starts).

If I got this wrong, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Go OE.
my Oe clutch had 35k on it and the last 10k miles was all clutch ups and playing around in that manner.
This is how it looked after the abuse.

I probably waited longer than I should have to replace them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts