RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a buddy at trackaholics in oceanside that did a coil plug conversion. he took the coil plugs off of an r1 and repalced his remote coils with them i have seen the bike run with this mod i just wanted to know how popular it is.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The main advantage the coil plugs would have is more reliable spark.
The only lead to the coil plugs is a low voltage one, so it avoids the possibility of high-voltage shorts or breaks when the usual plug wire gets old and dry rotted.
Or shorts due to moisture, or any reason for HV to find a path to ground.

The disadvantage is the coil plugs can be a bit delicate and care must be used to remove them when changing plugs. You need to pull them straight off and not at an angle or bend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered the coil over plugs for my 2000RC The correct coils are off a 600rr 07-08, the R1 I think are a bit too long and dont form a tight seal as do the "Honda" parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so the hardest thing to get is the plugs, aparently the coil plug has to have a plug with a removable tip and all of them i can find for the rc are solid i got the measurements, if you cant find someone to turn it with a layth then carefully doit your self with a dremal and a drill but the end needs to be turned down to .150 inch if anyone could find a plug with a removable tip please let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts