RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I've ridden about 3k miles on my 06 rc51. They bike has about 40k miles on it but still runs like a champ. It had it's first valve adjustment at 16k miles and I am going to check the clearances soon whenever I have a break from school.

I have had a persistant noise since I've had the bike. When I start the bike cold, there is usually a loud bang noise once or twice under the gas tank and the idle will drop suddenly when it happens. Sometimes the bike just dies from it and I will have to restart it and the noise has gone away.

This only happens when I do a cold start while I am letting the bike warm up and putting my gear on. I use 93 octane ethanol free gas.. Any help?

The bike has two brothers slip-ons, it had a power commander but the mid-button is broken so it is removed. I only mention this because it occured to me that maybe the bike is running too rich?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a 04 that did the same thing since the day i brought it home with 3 miles on it...Almost sounded like the motor was gonna lock up. I talked to several people who had the same problem but never got a strait answer on what it was.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Hey guys, I've ridden about 3k miles on my 06 rc51. They bike has about 40k miles on it but still runs like a champ. It had it's first valve adjustment at 16k miles and I am going to check the clearances soon whenever I have a break from school.

I have had a persistant noise since I've had the bike. When I start the bike cold, there is usually a loud bang noise once or twice under the gas tank and the idle will drop suddenly when it happens. Sometimes the bike just dies from it and I will have to restart it and the noise has gone away.

This only happens when I do a cold start while I am letting the bike warm up and putting my gear on. I use 93 octane ethanol free gas.. Any help?

The bike has two brothers slip-ons, it had a power commander but the mid-button is broken so it is removed. I only mention this because it occured to me that maybe the bike is running too rich?
It does all of this without throwing a code??

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'd pull the air box and start her up just to hear/ see the area where the "bang" is coming from.

While you are in there you can do the quick and dirty FPR check....jondog9 has the link for that.

Check for loose connections on your ECU or corrosion on the pins, coat them with dielectric grease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts