1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Hi Tire didn't suddenly deflate between corners & there was no way his front tire was slipping at nearly no angle of lean.
It seems to me it was a classic case of fixation with the object instead of looking at where he wants to go: He was focussing on the road side thinking of the danger he wanted to avoid and not at the road ahead. He was clearly annoyed with himself for having ridden the bike into the Armco.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Tire didn't suddenly deflate between corners & there was no way his front tire was slipping at nearly no angle of lean.
It seems to me it was a classic case of fixation with the object instead of looking at where he wants to go: He was focussing on the road side thinking of the danger he wanted to avoid and not at the road ahead. He was clearly annoyed with himself for having ridden the bike into the Armco.
My sarcasm must be on point tonight....you didn't even notice.:D

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Ah, shucks I completely missed that - Still haven't had my morning coffee here and reading through e-mails & stuff. :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Target fixation was a factor, and trying to keep up with the rider ahead of him and use that rider for his 'line' was another factor. Notice how sloppy his turns got when he tried to catch up to the rider ahead.

The camera is pointing in the center of his line of sight. In the crash corner, at first he's looking up the road at the bike ahead. Even at the 3:33 mark the camera is still lined up on the bike. Two seconds later the lead bike has moved significantly to the left onscreen as he moves to the right edge of the lane. Then he seems to fixate on the big yellow < sign. Once he focused on that he was done. I'll bet as he got closer to the armco, his grip became viselike and his arms were basically locked up. No matter how hard he pushed to get the bike to turn (if he even did that), his opposing arm fought the input. It's a simple and very common panic reflex, and it's not easy to overcome that reaction.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Very well put, oVTo!

·
Registered
342 Posts
See they are human!!!

Harley riders are in fact mortals just like us....:D

That guy is lucky he had a guard rail there... many spots on the dragon don't have one and its a long way down...

I wonder how many H.D. notes he had to turn in at the dealership to fix it..;)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I think the worst was that his buddies were all behind him and watched his high speed parking job. He may never live it down.... :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts