RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
What are the most common mods. for the RC51 from mild -wild?

Man...66 is taking its toll on you :eek::D...hahaha kidding kidding.

Yes, MB pointed out rc51.org (I think I sent you that link already) it has the most common "mods."

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
What are the most common mods. for the RC51 from mild -wild?
In order of most obvious aka most common aka least likely to have negative side effects:

1a) Change OEM sprockets from 16-tooth front / 40-tooth rear to 15-tooth front / 41- or 42- or 43-tooth rear = mild, but makes the bike run better, i.e. greatly reduces the "I have to slip the clutch too much from a stop and once I'm rolling I can't find the right gear" factor.

1b) Add a Power Commander = mild, but makes the bike run smoother / better.

2) Add a Speedo Healer = mild, but corrects the speedo error inherent from the factory and exacerbated by the gearing change under 1a.

3) Change the OEM rear 190/50-17 tire size to 190/55-17 = mild-ish. Changes the steering geometry to make the bike turn faster. Might need a steering damper after this.

4) Add a steering damper(?)

5) Some guys might recommend a new rear shock and / or fork upgrades prior to this point (i.e. "suspension first", but the cost for those is generally much higher than 1 - 4 above. And probably not really needed for street riding. Me, I prefer the bike to ridable first, hence items 1a and 1b at least.

There are more. I got tired.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
In order of most obvious aka most common aka least likely to have negative side effects:

*Avoid buying a Slow 3* then follow the list:
1a) Change OEM sprockets from 16-tooth front / 40-tooth rear to 15-tooth front / 41- or 42- or 43-tooth rear.

1b) Add a Power Commander.

2) Add a Speedo Healer

3) Change the OEM rear 190/50-17 tire size to 190/55-17

4) ...

There are more. I got tired.

Fixed it for you :D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Upgrade the rear shock & rear link and get your forks reworked to match. Dan Kyle will probably be the best person to go to. Fit some lighter wheels - the lighter the better.
Aside from the basic mods to gearing, exhaust & PCIII mentioned above - suspension and wheels will make the biggest difference. The rest are just enhancements that make the bike incrimentally better each time - but as a sum total can make a big difference overall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Put "common mods' in the search & got back my own question!
Thanks for the mods mentioned.
Already have the Scotts Damper. Going next for sprockets. Maybe going to Computrack Boston(Peter Kates, he did my Tuono) Rear tire when the Pilot Power is worn out(Looks new).
I guess Speed Healer & PC much later. The kid still back the $2000 he borrowed from me!! He knows if he mentions a new bike I'm a softy(Now books for school I ask why?)Bad dad I guess.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The cheapest mods are Flapper and Pair valve removal along with the Soft Rev Limiter mod. I did these soon after I got the bike and cost me practically nothing. The PCIII USB is a great addition and I understand that Bazzaz now has a FI controller for the RC.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Put "common mods' in the search & got back my own question!
Thanks for the mods mentioned.
Already have the Scotts Damper. Going next for sprockets. Maybe going to Computrack Boston(Peter Kates, he did my Tuono) Rear tire when the Pilot Power is worn out(Looks new).
I guess Speed Healer & PC much later. The kid still back the $2000 he borrowed from me!! He knows if he mentions a new bike I'm a softy(Now books for school I ask why?)Bad dad I guess.

Always search first. You'll likely find more info than you'll get in responses. Use the forum search and google. Use a few variations in wording and you'll be golden. If you want more info post the question and mention what you found.

There is a mod section here, a new member section and a how to section. Cruising them will be interesting and help answer your inquiry too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts