RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So my RC has been sitting on a stand for the most of the winter, and ive noticed a very small puddle of coolant on the ground, in the frint, center, just behind the wheel. As the winter progressed, the puddle got bigger, after each time i cleaned it up....

So i took all the pastics off, cleaned everything up, and ran the bike, and i cant find any leak, i let it sit, no leak...i filled up the resevoir and cant find anything. All i can see, is a very small amount of moisture on the left side radiator at the bottem...

I cant find ANYTHING else...any ideas????

·
Registered
232 Posts
Since you didnt see any comming from the rad when you ran it I would guess the clamp on the hose above that side of the radiator is either loose or the hose pulled up and knocked the clamp cockeyed. I just swapped out a bad radiator and it was tough gettin gthose clamps on the hoses straight..

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Also as the rubber ages due to heat and ozone and loses it's flexibility.
So the clamp can loosen on the hose for that reason as well.
When I have any fairing off, I check my hose clamps just to be sure.
Especially the left ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My sp1 had a split on the bottom of the left hand radiator where the bracket comes off, and when i ran the bike it stoped due to the heat, i think it,s a fault with them, got mine repaired.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I thought of that too ravo but the small amount leaking sounds more like a hose/clamp issue.. I just swapped my radiator out and it got way worse when I ran it..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just saw a left rad on ebay for 225 buy it now... I bought a superhawk radiator that the guy at the salvage place here locally thought was an rc for 200.. You can always have them repaired although I just learned its not a long term soloution.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ill be taking the one that broke to be repaired and put it back on so i can have a fan for the summertime. Ill keep the superhawk rad as a backup..

·
Registered
30 Posts
thats funny mine been on table lifted for 2 mos untouched and i noticed the same puddle on my lift have not took apart yet too cold outside here mine only has 1000 miles on bike i think a little too early to be leaking fluids but if you come across problem post it up please so i can look in the right spot

·
Registered
232 Posts
The PO had it repaired and I only put like 50 miles on it before it started leaking.. he mustve missed something when he welded it..

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The PO had it repaired and I only put like 50 miles on it before it started leaking.. he mustve missed something when he welded it..
After the radiator shop finished welding mine, he pressure tested it in a tank of water to find any pinhole leaks that may have occurred.
He did have to go back a couple of times. That's pretty thin aluminum.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Im taking it back to the same place so Im sure the guy will be a little embarrased when I point out his substandard work..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts