RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I arrive home and notice a small pool of coolant under my stored 2005 RC51. I cleaned up the mess, took off the left fairing, and had a look around. It seemed like the coolant came from a hose near the reservoir, but l couldn't see too much with a flash light. So, the weather was about minus 40 degrees CELSIUS in December and the start of January, then warmed up to plus 6 celsius the past week. The engine block, etc wouldn't have cracked I would imagine, and the hoses look ok. Would this be a matter of a 50/50 mixture (regular coolant) and a deep freeze then thaw? Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I've experienced a coolant leak on my SP1, it was coming from the upper hose of the radiator (loose connecter). It is possible that the leak was caused by the change in temp (hose expanding and contracting) and the hose connector is loose.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Pending on the coolant type and age, it could have froze at that Artic temperature.

I have Engine Ice in mine which is good to about ~-18 degrees F, but I put a heater out there with mine.

Hopefully if it did freeze it just pushed a hose off or ruptured a hose. It is worth pulling the fairings and giving her a better look.

Also, please keep this Canadian air out of Indiana, we've had enough.:D

Gook luck to you.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
if it is a busted hose, sounds like a good excuse for a Samco hose kit. My hoses were a wreck on SP1, they all needed to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
I had a leak once.....checked everything without removing the cowls. I even replaced the rad cap figuring it had a loose spring.
Then I removed the RH lower cowl to do a different job and I found the leak.
The hose that connects the two rads was loose on the RH rad clamp.

Like JohnDog said, you need to remove the cowls.
Loosen up each clamp, push the hose firmly all the way in and tight the clamp up again nice and tight.
Also check for coolant residue on the crankcase between the cylinders.
If you see even a drop there, you'll have to remove the throttle bodies too and check the hose clamps around the thermostat housing.

If you are not going to remove any hose, you don't have to dry the coolant out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on, thanks for the replies. I will be doing more checks when the weather warms a little. I don't need to break clips etc in this frigid cold! I had a look at the Samco site and those hoses look nice. I couldn't find a price though.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
They run around 200 for a set. Expensive, but they will last forever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts