RC51 Forums banner

Coolant

6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  penn542 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I had a small leak on my 05' RC. I removed the left upper rad hose and a full litre and a half emptied out during the hose replacement procedure. I followed the instructions about running the engine and adding coolant at the rad cap hole. Yes, i blipped the throttle a few times. I added one litre of coolant as thats all I had and turned off the engine. Now, do i run the bike again and add fluid to the top of the rad or add half litre of coolant? It doesn't specify in the service manual.

Any info is appreciated.

#5 ·
Andrew is not a moderator (just one of many great members here) but this post might get moved.

I would check again at the radiator and then just top off the reserve. After that just keep an eye on the reserve.

#7 ·
Since you blipped the throttle a few times, I take that to mean you tried to burp the air out?

It takes a little more than that to effectively burp the cooling system.
The right way to do it, starting with a cold bike, is to have the bike on the sidestand, and have the rad cap off. Top of the radiator. Then start the bike and watch the coolant in the radiator.
As your bike warms up to right about 167F degrees, the coolant should start moving in the radiator. At 172F degrees, it'll be swirling around pretty good. Then you know your thermostat is completely open.
That's when to roll the throttle, I do it a little slower than actually blipping.
It could take several seconds or more for air bubbles to start showing up, if you have any. Be patient.
Once your satisfied theres no more air bubbles, turn off the bike, and let it cool down completely, 4 hours or more, then top off the coolant.
Then fill your overflow bottle to about 1/3 or 1/2 full. Might be a good time to make sure the overflow bottle is in good shape and overflow hose nice and clear.
Does that match up with the instructions you mentioned?

#16 ·
:p It's all good

Ditto if the case. Andrew is a good standing contributor. And I'm often pointing out obvious fluff posts with much more candour than this. Just sayin. ;)
Thanks for the kind words sir...just sayin :)

Ok you guys are just making shit up to fuck with me now.. Gtftloy.
bahahaha. CTFO (chill the fuck out)

#14 ·
whhwnnantt?...burp. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.