RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of permanently setting my fan so its on all the time. At the mo it just comes on when ever it feels like it. A few questions:

1: what's the best way to do it
2: any bad points to doing this
3: is it a massive drain on the battery?

·
Registered
413 Posts
There's a thread here somewhere about the fan switch mod. I did it to mine.

Allows you to manually turn fans on/off depending on temp. I love it:)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Don't wire your fan to run all the time. There are better solutions.
On the SP1, the fan switch mod couldn't be easier. Just get a on-off switch, run one leg to ground, and the other leg to the single wire that goes to your thermal switch in the left-front radiator. It's that simple. If you forget to turn the manual switch on when it gets warm, it doesn't matter, the thermal switch will still operate as normal and kick the fan on and off at OEM settings.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
The only down side I see is that it is a DC motor and will cause motor to wear much faster. I have not had one apart to see the actual internals but my experience with little motors, the duty cycle on them is not meant for continuous operation.

Heat is the biggest enemy of a little motor like these, but that is inevitable.:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I did the lower temp switch mod too.
That thermal switch worked flawlessly. However, I'm not sure it lowered my temps overall. It did cause my fan to run more, but when the weather was around 90F degrees or higher, I saw the same operating temps as before - in the 200 to 220F range. Which just made my fan run more because the bike wouldn't get down to the required ~185F degrees very easily.

Here's a thread where I posted my install of that thermal switch.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-rc51/64598-lower-temp-fan-switch-11.html

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I did the lower temp switch mod too.
That thermal switch worked flawlessly. However, I'm not sure it lowered my temps overall. It did cause my fan to run more, but when the weather was around 90F degrees or higher, I saw the same operating temps as before - in the 200 to 220F range. Which just made my fan run more because the bike wouldn't get down to the required ~185F degrees very easily.

Here's a thread where I posted my install of that thermal switch.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-rc51/64598-lower-temp-fan-switch-11.html
+1, this would probably be the better option.:cool:

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you are going to mod the fan control, consider this also.
The fan pulls air into the front of the bike not out to the side.
This is fine when you're stationary or moving slow. But if the fans running while you're travelling at any speed, it will try to blow air in the opposite direction of the natural moving air flow.
Don't know about you, but I think in these circs. it'll contribute to heating the engine up.

I've fitted a capillary stat to mine with the bulb fastened to the front radiator tank. I can adjust the temp. it comes in at and it controls better than the old radiator switch (much closer hysteris).
Only did the mod because my left radiator burst and I got an SP2 radiator cheap (SP1's seem to be as rare as rocking horse shit).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts