RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a 2002 with a Corbin seat, not sure I will like it. Seems to me that for just cruising/touring it would be fine but for twisties, and track days it is not designed for sliding off the seat. So I would like to replace it with a stock seat or other suggested seat. Appreciate any thoughts or advice. Also it seemed difficult to get the seat off, had to remove rear bolts from behind with the passenger seat removed. Is that correct?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have both also and I'm with you the stock is better for this type of bike. My butt isn't big enough for a Corbin's seat at least not yet, so I don't use it.
You can get it on and off the bike by bending the corner up just enough to get a socket on it with a long enough extension as a lever. It's a little difficult but doable. I Never tried it your way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't try it my way! The Corbin seat would not bend up enough I thought but maybe should have been a bit more determined. May pick one up off ebay. All model take the same seat?

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I have both also and I'm with you the stock is better for this type of bike. My butt isn't big enough for a Corbin's seat at least not yet, so I don't use it.
You can get it on and off the bike by bending the corner up just enough to get a socket on it with a long enough extension as a lever. It's a little difficult but doable. I Never tried it your way.
I've always removed my seat by your method. Just lifting the outer rear edge and loosening the bolt.
It's like that on other bikes as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possibly

I will know if I want to sell the Corbin once I get a stock seat on it. The Corbin may come in handy for touring Deals Gaps! I will put it up on here first if I sell it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you considered Sargent (see pic)? Don't know how they compare with Corbin but they look good and seem narrower. I've also heard Sargent makes a better seat than Corbin but that's just an opinon. Both are great seats. I had a Corbin on my Blackbird and it transformed the bike's comfort level, best investment I ever made. It's true you can't move around or hang off alot, but unless you do track days, a Corbin or Sargent will make 12 hour days in the saddle a piece of cake.
http://www.sargentcycle.com/howsrc51.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have rode on both corbin and stock ..... i would stick with corbin motly because i dont race my bike .... the stock is great for track days and things like that 100% agree.... i also have a friend that modified his stock seat by adding a few sheets of memory foam and it felt alot better then stock but still felt like you can slide on it when you need to

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought a Sargent recently, and really like it. While its not as track ready as the OEM pad, it appears to be a little more movement friendly than a Corbin, but I've never sat on a Corbin either. Both should be much more comfortable than OEM for general riding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a sweet brand new carbon fiber look corbin seat for one ride, then it went up on ebay, I think its a great seat for old farts or riders that dont hang off at all or drag knee, the shape or squared edges just do not work right for aggressive corner carvers, stock is much more of a road racer's seat, but it is damn hard.. no offense intended to you corbin seat supporters..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ride on my stock seat as well but in the track day aspect a good friend of mine has a corbin on his sp1 and coats it down with some armor all so he can slide a round a little better, dont know if i'd try it but its a thought

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a corbin on my Fireblade and my RC. One thing to remember is that when they are new they are like a big peice of lumber. Part of the comfort comes from the ability to change position and squirm around. You have to give these seats time to break in. After few few thousand KM they start to form to your ass and become a great addition to your ride. If you slide over alot the square edges start to round off but it is still a big seat for the RC. I think of my stocker as a pad rather than a real seat. Try giving the seat some time and you might have better luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts