RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever replaced theirs? I'm replacing mine it was leaking...I got the old one out but getting the new one in is a PITA... Please tell me I don't need to split the cases.....Anyone....Thx...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok I wont tell you but there is only 1 way to replace it!!
Im in the process of replacing the countershaft and also replacing the seal. I do not think there is any other way as the seal has a metal shell c/w a lip that fits into a groove in the crank cases.
Neil

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have never changed the seal but if you already took the old one out you have the replacement, does it have a big lip that will prevent insertion? If the answer is yes then you have to tear the engine down... or do what i would do, trim the part preventing insertion off, smear the seal in instant gasket fit and forget

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have never changed the seal but if you already took the old one out you have the replacement, does it have a big lip that will prevent insertion? If the answer is yes then you have to tear the engine down... or do what i would do, trim the part preventing insertion off, smear the seal in instant gasket fit and forget
You are kidding right?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I am guessing that the seal has a small raised rubber dimple to locate it, you trim it off and fit it with sealant, the centre won't be altered....
the alternative is a shed load of work that the op is unlikely to be able to undertake or a big bill from the dealer

·
Registered
729 Posts
Plenty of bikes have a straight press fit seal, no reason it wouldn't work, there is very little, if any, pressure behind the seal.
Like i said, what is the alternative? worth risking the price of a seal to find out, and if it doesn't work i would be very surprised

·
Registered
106 Posts
It likely would work but I didnt want to suggest it as the outcome if the seal fails could be very bsd; oil and tyres is your worst nightmare As has been said most oil seals dont have a retaining lip and these stay in ok.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It likely would work but I didnt want to suggest it as the outcome if the seal fails could be very bsd; oil and tyres is your worst nightmare As has been said most oil seals dont have a retaining lip and these stay in ok.
I wondered how long it would be before somebody brought this up, is the litigation really that bad over there?
you fit the seal run the bike on the stand for ten minutes if it doesn't leak it aint going to, job jobbed :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Dan I am only up the road from you not from accross the pond, not for litigation I just would not recommend it to anyone but I would have considered doing it myself. Neil

·
Registered
729 Posts
I guess when Wingnutt said he was speechless he meant it!
So Kris9r what did you do in the end, every story needs an ending....

·
Registered
63 Posts
This seems to be a common thing for Honda V-Engines. I worked on one of the old 250cc V-Twins and also a VFR several years ago and they also had to have the cases split, to change the countershaft seal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts