RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm getting a oil leak which appears to be from the front sprocket area. Haven't took the cover off just yet but that's my best guess. It's throwing oil on both sides of the rear tire and it's got me stumped. I sure hope I don't have to split the case for one dang seal. I'm also not sure why a oil leak would be on both sides of the rear tire. Any help??

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
How bad is the amount of oil residue on the rear of the bike? Light, heavy?
Is there an oil film on the inner surface of the frame cross-member near the fuel tank hinge?

I can see oil on the left side from a leaky countershaft seal, but the right is another story, unless the oil filler cap is leaking (which I've had from an aftermarket cap that didn't seal properly).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see oil on the bottom of the pan. It may not be the counter shaft after all. There's a light coating of oil on the bottom of the pan which is blowing back on the rear tire on both sides of the tire. I need to get the plastics off and see exactly where it's coming from. I'm also going to replace the chain as well. Is there any size rear sprocket that is suggested to run?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well guys don't laugh but I found the problem. Looked and looked and I noticed it was coming from the front of the motor. Well I shined a light on the oil filter and noticed it was soaked with oil. So I reached and turned it and to my amazement it was loose. So I tightened it up and so far so good. Is it recomended to check the filter because of the vtwin vibration a lot more often?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
My RC51, FZ1, and my daughters FZ6 all use the same type filter.
On the Yamaha, they state 12 ft/lbs, while for the RC51, 19 ft/lbs.
I use a K&N oil filter as the nut they weld on top makes it each to torque it to spec, but 19 ft/lbs is a bit snug.
So I tried 12 ft/lbs and have had no problem with filter getting loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts