RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm new here, but I have searched in this forum and found a few things that were close, but not exactly what I am looking for.

Anyhow, I bought a 2002 RC last night from an older guy at work for next to nothing. He informed me that the bike won't start after about 210-220 degrees. He purchased the bike from a guy who stripped the bike to the chassis and totally rebuilt it. It has motor work with boring and all, with schematics and pictures. The previous owner must have sold the power commander separately so it doesn't have one. Could this be the problem since I have read that the fuel mixture runs rich at hot?

The other question is, do I need to have a custom map done or would one from their website work with the motor work? It also has the full Akoprovic exhaust as well. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
The engine should still start.
It may not run perfect (depending on what's installed), but it should still start.

210-220 deg F is not uncommon.
251 Deg F is the critical temp where the engine should be shutdown and cooled, lest possible damage occurs.

It is preferable that a customer map be created on a dyno to match the engine.
A map created elsewhere may be "in the ball park", but not matched to your engine.
And since it has an Akrapovic full system, you will need a power commander for sure.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You might have a battery amperage or starter problem that prevents the motor from spinning over quickly enough to start at running temps. If the bike failed to start, I would attempt a jump-start and see if that worked. If so, it is merely a weak (or too small) battery causing the problem.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Man, you have to start with basics on this.
However, like SubSailor just said, 210-220 is very common. In the summertime, I start my bike with the engine at those temperatures all the time.
You said it's had engine work. What has been done? And a full Akra system?
For sure you need a PC and a custom map at the Dyno.

But it should start.
Couple things that come to mind for me are: is the battery healthy - reg/rec and stator charging at the normal rates?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the responses guys. The battery at the moment is crap, totally dead. He said it would be fine if he let the bike sat til the temps came down around the 190 mark or so, it would start right back up. Not exactly what has been done to the motor, i would need to go over the notes and specs from the machine shop. In all honesty, i bought it just to flip it. Its an 02 with 17,000 miles on it with all sorts of custom things like the carbon handle bars and shocks/forks. It does have the dyno which shows 133 whp, not sure what they have stock? Someone offered me 2700 for it as it sits but i think thats kind of low. I think if i buy a battery for it and test that out first, maybe thatll fix it? Any recommendations on batteries?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks a lot for the responses guys. The battery at the moment is crap, totally dead. He said it would be fine if he let the bike sat til the temps came down around the 190 mark or so, it would start right back up. Not exactly what has been done to the motor, i would need to go over the notes and specs from the machine shop. In all honesty, i bought it just to flip it. Its an 02 with 17,000 miles on it with all sorts of custom things like the carbon handle bars and shocks/forks. It does have the dyno which shows 133 whp, not sure what they have stock? Someone offered me 2700 for it as it sits but i think thats kind of low. I think if i buy a battery for it and test that out first, maybe thatll fix it? Any recommendations on batteries?
Let's see :cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out and with an easy fix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts