RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently do not own a RC51 but am in the market to purchase one. There's an SP1 in my area. Couple points:

-Moriwaki rear sets
-Aftermarket clips (bike could have been down? most 11 year old bikes have been at some point though)
-Total Racing CF airbox and duct (front fairing modded to fit duct)
-Bike shows 36,000 miles but likely has about 29,000-30,000 due to a 1 down front sprocket
-According to the seller, couple minor scratches. Nothing major
-EDIT: Bike has an SP2 swingarm

Seller is asking $3800 (obviously high). What should I be looking to offer for this bike? I am inclined to go no higher than $3000. Maybe $3100 if he drives a hard bargain.

Also, will an SP2 motor bolt in without much issue? I know the bike has high miles but I could swap a decent lower mile SP2 in next offseason.

Lastly, anything i should look out for?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I cant comment if thats a good price where you live,here in NZ that would sell for up to US$5500, the SP2 motor will bolt straight in( I think the SP1 exhaust headers need modding to fit the port?),check to see if the oil pan plugs etc are drilled for lock wire, a sure sign its been tracked

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
i wouldn't say 3800 is really that bad. Its got higher mileage so 3000-3500 is more realistic. If he waited long enough he could get 3800 easily.

Big thing on SP1's is the leaking fuel tank. Fuel tank's are expensive....500 dollars used, expensive. It ends up leaking at the back of the tank near the hinge. Tell tale sign is grease (from fuel and dirt) at the seams of the tank and running down the left inside of the frame....and probably all over the rear shock as well. You'll smell it too.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Check the usuals ( brakes, chain, forks), make sure everything lines up at least, the tank like Gts455 mentioned, and the obvious signs of racing like mentioned. It has some miles but if they were average miles she should be ok, these motors are pretty hearty. What are your plans and budget for it? Two questions that may hel
Guide your decision. Price is nice, wish I had one around here for that kind of scratch.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I picked up my 2k for 3000, seller was asking 3900. I went to look at it and saw signs of the bike being down (clean title/straight frame). Pointed out what needed fixed and bought it for 3000.

Always worth a shot. My $.02

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts