RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got plenty of battery power, no FI light, plenty of fuel, the fuel pump is priming and the bike trying to fire up like a good'un.

it almost feels like there no fuel in the bike, it sounds like its about to fire up then clonks out again.

could this be the fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
First you have to determine if it's not getting enough fuel, or if it's not getting spark.
Fuel filter? Adequate fuel pressure? Has your bike been giving you any of the tell-tale signs of a bad fpr?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its been running fine mate, no fueling probs/issues to speak of, and the spark plugs were changed 10months ago.

could the wiring in the tail section cause this? me and my bro were trying to sort my brake light issue recently. have ridden it fine since then

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I guess I would try a little shot of starting fluid to see if she'll fire up. If it won't fire, you got spark issues.
If it does fire up but won't stay running, the next thing I'd check is fuel pressure and flow.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I guess I would try a little shot of starting fluid to see if she'll fire up. If it won't fire, you got spark issues.
If it does fire up but won't stay running, the next thing I'd check is fuel pressure and flow.
Post your famous FPR thread already....if you're going to lift the tank, may as well check it. btw, check and make sure your vent line isn't pinched either.;)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
When you crank it over, can you smell unburnt fuel in the exhaust?

If not - then likely to be a fuel problem. That could be FPR, or electrical.

Check the fuses too, just in case you blew one when playing with the wiring at the back. Should always disconnect the battery when doing wiring work.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Does the fuel pump prime when you switch on the ignition?

Take a spark plug and ground it against the engine with the HT lead attached (Don't hold it with your hands or you'll electrocute yourself!) - using insulated pliers. If it sparks, then it's definitely a fuel problem.

Sounds as though it can be lack of fuel due to FPR fault, or something else where some fuel is coming in, but not enough?
But you need to know if it's fuel or spark before investigating further.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, got it going, used an old sophisticated and involved technique i read about. its called "reving the tits out of it" while its cranking over. it fired up and idles nicely, although i did pick up a very slight burning smell.

either way its enough to get it to my brothers garage where the tools are, so we can get a proper look at it:)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Maybe your idle is set too low? Are you pulling the "choke" cable before attempting to start? (I know it is not actually a choke or enricher, it just opens the throttle)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts