RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,
I am having problems with my ‘03 fuel tank venting. I bought the bike used and it is in excellent shape but had been sitting for awhile. The tank had a bit of rust inside from being left half full of fuel. I cleaned out and de-rusted the tank as thoroughly as I could. When I first ran the bike, it would release some excess pressure when I opened the filler cap. I removed the tank and checked the rubber vent line, which was clear. I also removed the tank and used a twisted copper wire to snake out the metal vent tube inside the fuel tank. The wire went as far as the splash ring inside the tank. I also poured some penetrating oil into the metal tube to help break up any gunk that may have been in there.
Now, all of a sudden, the tank is starting to collapse. When I opened the filler cap I could hear a rush of air and the top of the tank popped back up. This happens even if the bike is not running. As I mentioned, I did everything I could think of associated with the vent line and tube. Is there something that I am missing? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add, whatever is going on does not effect the way the bike runs at all. The fueling is fine and the bike pulls and accelerates with no problems right from idle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
According to the Honda factory manual the breather is on the bottom of the tank. It runs down the inside of the tank as a metal tube from the spill ring and exits next to the fuel pump mounting flange. Then it continues as a rubber line down to the left side of the bike and is clipped together with the other drain and vent lines.
I don’t believe the caps are vented on the newer bikes. However, I have seen some aftermarket gas caps that are vented and I may go this route if I can’t get this issue sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts