RC51 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up an '01 RC and loving it. Brake and clutch fluids were DARK, so I changed them out, along with the oil. Everything seemed to be fine, fluids nice and light, but now I notice the clutch fluid is back to a darker color. I am guessing that I didn't get the old fluid out completely when I bled the system.

It all seemed fine after changing the fluid. I noticed last night that there was a *click* noise when I pulled in the clutch handle all of the way. Today, when I went for a ride, about halfway in, I am getting a creaking noise instead of just the single click at the end.

So, my questions here are:

1) Could this creaking noise be a symptom of the old fluid mixing with the new?
2) Could this creaking noise be a symptom of air in the system?
3) Does this sound like it could be something more that is just showing up now?

I used DOT-4 synthetic fluid for the change, and believe I didn't get any air in the system when I did the work, but as this was my first attempt, I suppose it's my possible. Any hints, tips, or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
At the age and wear of some of these bikes, folks have had to rebuild the master cylinders. Have you greased the moving parts?

I know when I changed out my stock handles for the Titax units, the push rod etc require some grease application periodically. (Once a year should do if you don't ride a lot in the rain)

A rebuild kit for the master cylinder is ~ $40. Maybe its a worthy investment for your peace of mind.:cool:

For air gaps, just barely crack open the circuit at the top bolt where you connect the line to the mc. This will help "burp" the air out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would lube the master cylinder pivots and the rubber around the piston using some engine oil on the end of a screwdriver dripping onto the pivot points. I find that brake fluid dries out and gives you this creaking especially after this kind of work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts