RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out for a ride today in the crisp 38 degree weather. My friend and I swapped bikes so he could ride my "new" RC. I was forced to ride his old, dilapidated 2010 BMW S1KRR. :) Anyway, while riding behind him I noticed how pathetic the turn signal LED's are on the Hot Bodies undertail. I've been looking around on-line this evening to see what options there are and I found these:

http://www.customled.com/products/round_led_clusters/round_led_clusters.htm

They're a direct replacement. I've purchased two different integrated taillights from this company in the past and they've both worked very well. The LED's are very bright. Not the cheapest solution but it should make the rear lights and blinkers much more noticeable.

-Todd

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought a 10 led strips and attached them to the rear pegs and they are bright as hell people can always see them
I don't have any rear pegs but I was thinking about buying some small LED turn signals to mount on the outside of the HB undertail. Then I found these and since I know they produce a good quality product, I decided to go this route.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just an update on this. I wouldn't really recommend going this route after all. The new LED pods are great; very bright and a huge improvement over the hot bodies LED's. The problem is: The lens on the original hot bodies lights are not meant to come apart from the base, they're glued together. I got one of them apart, but destroyed the other one trying to get it apart.

I ended up custom making some new lights which I think will work out pretty well, but if you're looking for a simple solution to upgrade the hotbodies lights....this isn't it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a few pictures of the fabricated replacements. The parts consisted of the Custom LED clusters, a spud(?) washer that I found at the hardware store and a 1 15/16" acrylic plastic circle in transparent gray. It's not pretty but they look good once installed.

-Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Well, that was a lot of work, but looks like you got it sorted out. Does it meet the requirements for a rear reflector? I cant tell what your lenses look like.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that was a lot of work, but looks like you got it sorted out. Does it meet the requirements for a rear reflector? I cant tell what your lenses look like.
It was a lot of work, mostly just figuring out what to do and finding parts that would work. Putting everything together was easy, although the first time around I got carried away with the super glue and had to start all over with new parts (except for the LEDS). Me and super glue have never had a great relationship.:)

These lenses have absolutely no reflective qualities. But then again, neither did the Hot Bodies lenses. Most aftermarket taillight manufacturers stipulate that their product is not DOT approved, probably just for that reason.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
PIA, huh. It looks fine in the pictures.

According to my Allstate insurance agent, you know wha the number one excuse is when someone hits you? "I just didn't see them". Just my 2 cents, but consider your visibility.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks good!!

Ponch, they look great. Good and bright too. As for being seen they can't see you no matter what if they are texting or on the phone. But some side lights may help a little who knows????:confused: There are so many distractions today your just riding onluck anyway. I don't know how you guys in the city do it :confused: :confused:. I was forces to live in Richmond last year for six months during my bone Marrow transplant and was very surprised to see the # of bikes in the city. Blew me away the first night at bike night how many bikes showed up almost a thousand. So anything you do to increase visibility is helpful until you run into all those crazy laws. But the reflective tape is a great idea for nights. You can buy it in so many different colors now.
RIDE SAFE 2012 HOOVY

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ponch, they look great. Good and bright too. As for being seen they can't see you no matter what if they are texting or on the phone. But some side lights may help a little who knows????:confused: There are so many distractions today your just riding onluck anyway. I don't know how you guys in the city do it :confused: :confused:. I was forces to live in Richmond last year for six months during my bone Marrow transplant and was very surprised to see the # of bikes in the city. Blew me away the first night at bike night how many bikes showed up almost a thousand. So anything you do to increase visibility is helpful until you run into all those crazy laws. But the reflective tape is a great idea for nights. You can buy it in so many different colors now.
RIDE SAFE 2012 HOOVY
Thanks Hoovy! Yeah riding in and around the city is a bit like running the gauntlet. You get used to riding very defensively, expecting everyone to do something stupid, and being as ready as possible for it. I almost always ride with my Aerostich gear on, which has a big back reflector and reflectors on the calves too.

Congratulations on being a BMT survivor/ warrior! I'm coming up on my 20th re-birthday, having had a BMT in 1992 for Leukemia. It's a club I'm very proud to be a member of. :) My best to you and ride safe. -Todd

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 YEARS MAN THAT IS GREAT TO HEAR !!!!! God bless you for going through it the old way.Glad to be in the club too :D cause the alternative stinks ;). AML been fighting since Apr of 09. RIDE SAFE TAKE CARE!! Hoovy

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
20 YEARS MAN THAT IS GREAT TO HEAR !!!!! God bless you for going through it the old way.Glad to be in the club too :D cause the alternative stinks ;). AML been fighting since Apr of 09. RIDE SAFE TAKE CARE!! Hoovy
Well they have refined the process a little over the last 20 years, but it is still a very physically unpleasant experience and takes a tremendous amount of courage and resolve to get through it. My hat's off to you! You're right though, much better than the alternative, and I don't think I'd change my cancer experience if I could.

Come to think of it though, maybe I don't need reflective tape or gear after all. With as much total body irradiation as I got, I should glow in the dark! :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Found this while pud-zing around...lol; for those of you with the HB undertail. Thinking this may be the undertail I use as a "winter" project, along with the new sprockets and chain. Had a friend ask me..."what's up with the Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto?!"...(referring to the stock tail lights)...hah. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found this while pud-zing around...lol; for those of you with the HB undertail. Thinking this may be the undertail I use as a "winter" project, along with with new sprockets and chain. Had a friend ask me..."what's up with the Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto?!"...(referring to the stock taillights)...hah. :rolleyes:
What did you find? I don't see a link or picture.:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts