RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before you all freak out, just some questions. First off Im NOT comparing materials or build quality. I am simply trying to figure out if the Dan motos would be COMPARABLE in power output to the Ladybirds. If they are both 60mm inside diameter then what is the difference. Im not talking mids either, I already have tapered mids so that isn't an issue. SO where is the differences to be had??? Im pretty sure both are perforated tubes wrapped in insulation in a sleeve:p OH and BTW Danmoto told me via email they would be happy to accomadate any inlet size I need.

Now please Have at it!:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
DanMoto's would be a lot cheaper to replace if you dropped your bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. that is a serious consideration to take into account.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Ok before you all freak out, just some questions. First off Im NOT comparing materials or build quality. I am simply trying to figure out if the Dan motos would be COMPARABLE in power output to the Ladybirds. If they are both 60mm inside diameter then what is the difference. Im not talking mids either, I already have tapered mids so that isn't an issue. SO where is the differences to be had??? Im pretty sure both are perforated tubes wrapped in insulation in a sleeve:p OH and BTW Danmoto told me via email they would be happy to accomadate any inlet size I need.

Now please Have at it!:D

There is no real way to tell unless you dyno them in the same bike at the same dyno, but if I'm not mistaken DanMoto says that doing so could cause damage to their cans?

Are you sure the DM are 60mm? I know the inlets are different 60mm vs 51mm (I think)...so I'm sure the internals and packing are different...but just speculation.

So DM said they will create inlets to fit other diameters (so you could throw DM's onto other mids)?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, I guess the only real way to find out is testing. But all I can do is bench dyno, or couch dyno. Im just trying to make an educated guess on this. I really would like Ladybirds but if I could get the same end result for less than half the price that would be a good deal! Yes Dan Moto will make the inlet for any size you need. I have 54mm mids so that is what I would get. But I was just using two like sizes for comparisons sake. Thanks for the inputs!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Dan Moto ftw. Ladybirds are nice but way over priced. Not worth the extra cost at all

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Did you get a price for just cans by chance? I'd be curious to see how much just cans are (custom made to 60mm).

Then play with it using autotune and the PCV vs the LBP. I know it is not dyno numbers, but a change in air/fuel values would suggest a difference in product and throughput right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No but I will, for some reason I didn't think of getting 60mm id . Then reducers to 54mm inlets.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I guess you'd also need to compare materials. I believe LDB are full titanium so if Danmoto are titanium then OK to compare costs, but be sure they're all titanium incl. the perforated tube inside, like the LDB's, not just the sleeve.

There are usually differences such as these & others which make quality more expensive than budget stuff. If you don't drop the bike, but the Danmoto cans come apart after a while, or need re-packing earlier will it have been worth the saving?

As for your original question, no I don't think like for like diameters of silencer (Inner & outer) are going to be much different in power output. You might find it easier to locate a PCIII USB map for the LDB's than the Danmotos though...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Should I have gotten Titanium Danmoto can instead of the Carbon ones? Is the performance better with titanium?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
For power alone there's no significant difference but need to consider other aspects too like life expectancy, right?
Carbon will eventually need the sleeves replaced if you don't re-pack it as the FRP wadding melts & burns out inside. As this can happen quite quickly (At least - did in my case) carbon cans can discolour and eventually become soft before getting holes in. Titanium will never do that (Nor will stainless). So it depends what you term as performance.

My post above was really about comparing like for like. Titanium is an expensive material, hence the difference in cost with cheaper options.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ok, I was wondering if the titanium would have any power gains. If it is mostly longevity of the exhaust and packing, I should be ok. I don't daily her or anything like that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stig you are correct. The Dan motos are ti sleeve only. Stainless end caps and innards, which still is quite sufficient.As for packing I am unsure of what Dan motos use.Im not here to bash one or the other just realisticly pointing out differences and pros and cons of each. Thanks. To me bottom line is for 40% of the price of Ladybirds I can have something 80% as good:confused:

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Simon suggested that I have my LBP's repacked after turning gold with 2k miles on them

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Simon suggested that I have my LBP's repacked after turning gold with 2k miles on them

Oh, goody...I can look forward to more gold. :D

I would put the quality of the build of each system to the test for sure.

Sounds like the Danmotos would be a great alternative to those who want to save their rare or premium exhaust that are no longer made. However, they are still fecking loud and that is something I chose not to deal with.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
If it's ONLY performance in terms of power / money you're after then Danmoto will be your choice.

80% as good? I dunno. I'd say closer to 50% bearing in mind the only titanium material on the Danmotos is the sleeve, when you're comparing to a full titanium silencer. The perforated tube on the inside might not be welded to the front end cap on the Danmotos, so will they rattle as the wadding burns out? I don't know but you might find out for yourself... Titanium exhausts tend to sound slightly different to stainless exhausts which I believe is because metals have different resonant frequencies. It's especially apparent in car exhaust systems, I don't think you'd be able to tell much if any difference on a set of silencers with / without Ti inners, etc. though.

True quality usually costs more and when you really look closely you see why there are differences in cost. First appearances can be deceiving, but I'm sure the Danmoto silencers would be OK. Aesthetics can also play a part in choice for some, I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
I'd sure love to tear a DanMoto cannister apart and look inside!
Me too ! Oh, I am sure someone will send one in for a refinish one day. ;)

DHC

1 - 20 of 37 Posts