RC51 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda RVT1000R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the decibels are for satos? I’m interested in having my first track day at Thunderhill Raceway park in Cali. Their website says they have a DB limit of 103 and I was wondering if my pig is too loud

·
Registered
2003 Honda RVT1000R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your bike was louder than that , you wouldn't be riding much without ear plugs. I've got a decibel meter , upper 90's is LOUD , over 100 is ridiculous.
Ah sweet, I should be fine then. It’s not THAT loud. I asked bc I know some people sometimes get baffles bc of cheesy track rules but Thunderhill seems fairly lenient

·
Registered
206 Posts
You will be fine, lots of RSV4's running Austin Racing pipes, and some loud ass R1's and Gixxers. You won't even notice your bike - I run the Akros, and am one of the quietest bikes out there...

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Most of our tracks are limited at 92-94 Db. No issues with my Yosh cans but I do run the extra baffles in them. Be damned if I'll drive 17 hours there and back to get meat-ball flagged. Most of the guys that get flagged are on I-4s, our twins are not much issue it seems.

Reactions: Joe XR

·
Registered
2003 Honda RVT1000R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of our tracks are limited at 92-94 Db. No issues with my Yosh cans but I do run the extra baffles in them. Be damned if I'll drive 17 hours there and back to get meat-ball flagged. Most of the guys that get flagged are on I-4s, our twins are not much issue it seems.
I figured the inlines would be smoother than our twin piggies. Thankfully I'm less than two hours away but I'd be pretty unhappy if I got meat-balled

·
Registered
2003 Honda RVT1000R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will be fine, lots of RSV4's running Austin Racing pipes, and some loud ass R1's and Gixxers. You won't even notice your bike - I run the Akros, and am one of the quietest bikes out there...
Awesome - thanks! I'm gunna take a risk and slide right through and see what they say

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
I wonder if the restrictions are as tight on cars at Laguna as the bikes. Most of those cars are major loud. But having never been there I really couldn't say.

Reactions: Joe XR

·
Registered
206 Posts
They WILL kick you out at Laguna for being too loud! If you're just above, they give you one or two warnings. Many folks back off when they go by the sound booth. Also some put a pipe elbow and point their exhaust down, and toward the infield...

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
The new track in Calgary is now using GPS tracking with locator transponders on the bike so they can track your sound wherever you are on the track. I took my Yosh pipes off and put the stockers back on and had no issues in 3 days of running. The limit was 92 db and a warning at 95 for the initial few days. Over 95 and you had to muffle more or not ride. Now that the GPS system is up and going, it is strict 92. A bone stock R1 failed! Another bike (Ducati) with aftermarket cans failed as well and he was done, major pi$$ed. But we all knew the rules in advance so can't fault the facility really. The noise ordinance is from the surrounding county rules and they have to be very careful to avoid political hassles. Helluva track though, some really wicked corner sequences with nice elevation changes and even one off camber switchback. Keeps you on your toes big time. A bad brain fart in the wrong place will get you a free ride in the "waaaambulance" in short order.

Reactions: Fortysix&2

·
Registered
198 Posts
The new track in Calgary is now using GPS tracking with locator transponders on the bike so they can track your sound wherever you are on the track. I took my Yosh pipes off and put the stockers back on and had no issues in 3 days of running. The limit was 92 db and a warning at 95 for the initial few days. Over 95 and you had to muffle more or not ride. Now that the GPS system is up and going, it is strict 92. A bone stock R1 failed! Another bike (Ducati) with aftermarket cans failed as well and he was done, major pi$$ed. But we all knew the rules in advance so can't fault the facility really. The noise ordinance is from the surrounding county rules and they have to be very careful to avoid political hassles. Helluva track though, some really wicked corner sequences with nice elevation changes and even one off camber switchback. Keeps you on your toes big time. A bad brain fart in the wrong place will get you a free ride in the "waaaambulance" in short order.
That track sounds like a challenging one, wish I lived closer , but the “big brother” gps shit I can definitely live without

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
That track sounds like a challenging one, wish I lived closer , but the “big brother” gps shit I can definitely live without
The track is awesome! The GPS thing is due to the tight zoning in the county and they are constantly facing a barage of dipwads fighting the use with any means they can. Including lies. So if it keeps the government watchdogs at bay then I'm fine with it. Better that than lose a great new facility.

Reactions: Fortysix&2
1 - 16 of 16 Posts