RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Seeking thoughts...

I think that the battery is finally toast on the old girl.

She cranks for one revolution and stops. The fuel pump also gets slower, so that is why I am immediately leaning towards replacing the battery.

Question: Since this is a road traveler and not on the track, should the OEM battery get put back into it? Or is there a newer style/manufacturer that I should replace the current battery with? I like the SPEEDCELL, but can't justify $250 for a battery. Unless of course that is how much I am looking to spend anyway...

I know this is a really noob question, but I like to get other input for things that I am new to.

Thanks all

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
If you want a lithium type battery, I recommend Shorai.
Had one in my FZ1 and never had any problems.
A while ago, they largest capacity was 18 Ah, but now they have a 19 Ah.
For street use, I'd go with the largest capacity available. Still only weighs 2.2 lbs.
The 18 Ah is $189 and the 19 Ah is $199.

If you can't afford a lithium battery, then I'd recommend a good quality sealed, no-maintenance Absorbed Gas Mat (AGM) type lead-acid battery with 12 Ah capacity that fits the dimensions of the battery box.
Will be much heavier than a lithium (approx. 10 lbs vs. 2.2 lbs), but will be a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can't afford a lithium battery, then I'd recommend a good quality sealed, no-maintenance Absorbed Gas Mat (AGM) type lead-acid battery with 12 Ah capacity that fits the dimensions of the battery box.
Thanks. It isn't so much that I can't afford it, I just don't want to spend more money than I have to. (I.E. - spending more for a race application battery that has more to it than I really need).

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
i got a ballistic here i JUST took out of my HawkGT, its like new. (maybe 2 months old if that) ill make you a great deal on it, pm sent

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have an 8c Speedcell on my RC, and I mounted it in the DHC relocate tray. taking ~8lbs out from the top of the bike is a very noticeable difference. The Speedcell Battery also comes with a stellar disconnect, so if you are going to let it sit a while, it's a quick and easy procedure to unplug.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts