RC51 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend on the Cherohala was rough. One cruiser rider went wide into a guardrail on the NC side and died. Then later Saturday a Florida rider on a CBR1000 blew a right-hander on the TN side. He sideswiped a Kawi cruiser, bounced off it into another sideswipe with a Harley, then went head on into a Goldwing. Killed the CBR guy and the Honda guy is barely hanging on. With riding like that, I assume there will be lots of law enforcement in all the hot spots, Dragon included. Ride safe out there, guys, and if you don't know the road, back it down a notch.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Pretty sad report.
The whole point is to have fun, not set records. That's what the track is for.
You got one guy dead, one guy barely hanging on, no doubt several others injured, and 4 trashed bikes. All because one idiot was thinking with his little head.

Probably what they'll do is plant a cop every 2 feet with a radar gun and hand out so many citations for 1 or 2 over the limit that nobody will think about traveling that road.
If not, I'm sure they're thinking about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is sad. I'm sick of reading/hearing about this stuff every weekend! It's bad enough that we have to watch out for stupid automobile drivers but to also have to worry about other MC riders just sickens me!

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Pretty sad report.
The whole point is to have fun, not set records. That's what the track is for.
You got one guy dead, one guy barely hanging on, no doubt several others injured, and 4 trashed bikes. All because one idiot was thinking with his little head.
+1000 on that

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Witness's account of Cherohala accident

A couple of guys from the Blackbird forum were on the Cherohala and witnessed the accident right in front of them. This is the account of the accident as posted on cbr1100xx.org:

"John and I were mixed in with a bunch of cruisers (about 12 or so) in the process of getting around them. Happened right in front of my eyes. I was the first bike in the group that wasn't taken out.

Looked like a bomb went off, we were both very lucky. Debris, motorcycles, bodies, and shrapnel was flying everywhere. The guy's bike shot across the lane like a freaking lightning bolt. It his one of the bikes in front of me and flipped up about 10 feet in the air. How I managed to dodge shit and not get taken out is beyond me. I think we were fortunate that is was big heavy cruisers so the momentum of the debris went mostly in the direction we were traveling. When I finally came to a stop, and my rear wheel dropped down, I was completely surrounded by parts and bikes. John was right behind me, he barely got stopped within a couple of feet of hitting me. The guy's bike who hit everyone was smoking about 5 feet in front of me to the left, directly in front of me was a gas tank from one of the Harleys. I had to survey the situation for like a minte to just figure out how to ride out of the debris there was so much of it. We got the bikes parked, checked out who was hurt, etc. We checked for cell service and there wasn't any. We told the rest of the crew that we would go down the mountain to get help. It was about 22 miles up, and we were the only sport bikes so we figured it was the fastest way. The three riders that were injured were speaking, but in bad shape. The sport bike rider that came across the lane was obviously dead. He was laying on his stomach and twisted up a bit, either lost his head or it was doubled over and he was laying on top of it.

Someone must have got cell service somewhere, just as we got to the bottom a cop car came screaming by.

It's the most horrific thing I've ever wittnessed."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts