RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've applied plenty of decals before, using soapy water & a squeegee ... has always worked great.

Tried to apply the HONDA decal to my windshield last night ... came with no instructions ... but it doesn't wanna come off the clear frontal holder so the letters can stick to the windshield.

Are some decals not meant to be applied using soapy water?

Any other suggestions?

I did clean the windshield first with soapy water ... maybe I needed to use something stronger? I was afraid I'd mess it up with a stronger chemical.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I've put most of the stickers on my bike, man it's a tedious job.
I used soapy water for most all of them except the small ones like RC51, on the front fairing. I got a professional grade little squeegee from an auto paint supply store.
Having a heat gun helped me persuade the stickers just a little in some of the problem areas. Gotta be careful cause you can destroy the sticker real quick if you get it to hot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
if the stickers are vinyl, then the sheet they are attached to also has a slight amount of adhesive. You stick the entire sheet where you want it, then peel off the backing. (actually attached to the front of the decal)

A few easy ways to do this...

use masking tape to line up the decal sheet
When applying, peel offa little backing at first and make sure the decal stays lined up.
When you finally peel off the remaining backing paper, don't lay it down, but instead hold it away from the surface and use your hand or a squeegee to work the decal into place little by little. This will eliminate air bubbles or creases.
Once the decal is in place, go over where the decal is making sure to press it into place, then carefully peel off the backing.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the stickers are vinyl, then the sheet they are attached to also has a slight amount of adhesive. You stick the entire sheet where you want it, then peel off the backing. (actually attached to the front of the decal)

A few easy ways to do this...

use masking tape to line up the decal sheet
When applying, peel offa little backing at first and make sure the decal stays lined up.
When you finally peel off the remaining backing paper, don't lay it down, but instead hold it away from the surface and use your hand or a squeegee to work the decal into place little by little. This will eliminate air bubbles or creases.
Once the decal is in place, go over where the decal is making sure to press it into place, then carefully peel off the backing.
Mike ... so you're talkin' no use of soapy water ... How do I know when to use soapy water and when not to??

I used it on this small HONDA lettering decal, and seems like maybe it shouldn't have been used ... but I also have some larger replacement decals to do, and can't figure out whether or not I can use soapy water on those.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you have to peel the sticker off then apply it, then you may be able to use a solution to get it in the position you want. When applying vinyl decals where the vinyl is stuck to a backing sheet that has to peel back, then you cannot use the solution. these types of decals are typically heavy duty type stuff and you see these applied to windows and doors of businesses. They are typical of the wing graphics on your fairings.

this site explains the process better, thought they do say you can apply decals with water. I've never done it this way, but I would assume it is possible, though it would take longer to dry.

http://www.precisionvinyldecals.com/vinyl_decal_instructions.html

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
this site explains the process better, thought they do say you can apply decals with water. I've never done it this way, but I would assume it is possible, though it would take longer to dry.

http://www.precisionvinyldecals.com/vinyl_decal_instructions.html
That's a good link MikeinCtown.
I just read it and everything it said is just how my buddy, who does these things for a living, taught me to do mine.

Wet or dry is pretty well summed up with this paragraph from the above listed link.
There are two basic methods for applying vinyl decals.... the wet way and the dry way...
General rule of thumb is that you do what works best for you. All decals can be applied using either method, it really comes down to size and/or personal preference. The dry way is faster, the wet way is safer. Smaller stickers can usually be "dropped" dry onto the surface without having to be taped up and done in sections. Larger decals should be done wet, or must be taped in place and laid down in sections. Either way, be careful and work slow. Dry applied decals tend to stretch out if they stick by accident (and then have to be pulled off and re-stuck), and this can easily distort the decal. The wet method allows you to slide, or remove the decal and re-position it safely during the application.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts