RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang...as of late I have noticed a LOT of decel popping...way more than in months past. I hear it a lot on decel between 4k - 6k....so I am curious

Could my PCIII be going out ?
Could I have gotten bad gas ?
Can my bike be burning rich
I have check my tail pipe and I do not see any "rich burning" residue

Upon reflection, it does seem like I am getting less mileage than before....

I plan to have the bike tuned at the same time they install the airbox, so should I wait and see ? Or is this a common/quick fix issue ?

Thoughts...suggestions...dirty rhymes ?:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Exhaust popping on deceleration is usually from a too lean condition.
If it just started getting worse, and no tuning/remapping changes have been made, then check if you have leaks at your mid-pipe gasket junctions.
The exhaust could be sucking in added outside air, causing a very lean state inside the pipe that's igniting residual fuel vapors.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sub....forgive my ignorance on this one. Where are the gaskets that you are refering to ? I have my pipes thermal tape wrapped so I want to make sure I unwrap the correct end...well, i guess I'd be better off just completely un-wrapping both and checking.

I assume using soapy water would show a leak ? or does that only work for tires that are leaking ?

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Thanks Sub....forgive my ignorance on this one. Where are the gaskets that you are refering to ? I have my pipes thermal tape wrapped so I want to make sure I unwrap the correct end...well, i guess I'd be better off just completely un-wrapping both and checking.

I assume using soapy water would show a leak ? or does that only work for tires that are leaking ?
Your signature indicates a D&D high mount slip on system, so I'd start with where the slip on is secured to the OEM collector as shown in the OEM exhaust diagram.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=156042&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2002&fveh=3621

The suspect parts are the items: 4, 5, and 6. With 6 being the gasket and 4 & 5 being the clamps.
It's not uncommon for vibration and heat to degrade the gaskets or loosen the clamps.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sub...I really appreciate all of your help. If that is the case, I wonder if that is why I am smelling "gas" from the right side of my bike. I bet that clamp is loose or there is a leak and I am getting a gas "vapor' smell.....I will check it out and let you know

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Check the nuts where the exhaust mounts to the head too....I know mine have loosened before,

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the nuts where the exhaust mounts to the head too....I know mine have loosened before,
Let me guess Mad....I say "Check what nuts?"...and you fire back Deez nuts....ha ha very funny...;)

Good suggestions from both you and Sub. Will spend a bit of time checking this weekend !

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Let me guess Mad....I say "Check what nuts?"...and you fire back Deez nuts....ha ha very funny...;)

Good suggestions from both you and Sub. Will spend a bit of time checking this weekend !
It's always a good thing to apply hi-temp anti-seize to the head pipe nuts.
Otherwise they will corrode onto the studs due to heat, rain, etc.
Shearing off a stud is not a pleasant thing.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Sub...I will source some and have that done as well.

Hi Mike...long time my friend....the PAIR MOD was done, and I had not realized it. B Miller showed it to me 2 weeks ago and I have felt stoopid ever sense. Had not thought about the packing, the cans are a little over 14 months old....how do I check for that ? I assume I remove the cans from the mids...but after that ?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are D&D cans . ... D&D is local to me ( 13 miles from my house actually) and when I was looking for cans to replace my Microns these fit my budget at that time so please no bashing me over that. I freely admit I am ballin' on a budget and as I get more cash I will upgrade to better gear.

Mileage wise, I would hazard a guess to someplace close to 9k....maybe more. I didn't think to check the miles ...but that is a good suggestion for any mod or upgrade I do. Should probably get a small diary of sorts to write things down so when a question does arise, I will have a resource

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Mike...got the maps, will install this weekend and see if things get better. Will also check the gaskets and leaks

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I couldn't wait, so I d/l'd the maps to my bike - went with the Erion slip on map / stock or K&N - had a bit of trouble and had to call tech support. Guy was very helpful, and actually had to send the maps to my PC as they would not find the PC3 USB maps correctly.

Told him about the pooping and he tweaked the map to increase the fuel in the lower ranges....will test ot out tomorrow and let everyone know !

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big thanks to LDH !! The map(s) you suggested worked great this morning on my ride in....decel popping was VERY minimal.....prior to the new map....6k - 4k made my bike sound like she had eaten a really bad Mexican food dinner....today, only popped at about 4.2k and that was it. The tech at PC showed me how to make adjustments in the "0" range to add even more fuel if I so choose...may bump it up a % or 3 to to experiment.

Sub, I have not forgotten your suggestions....will tear down the exhaust when I have her taken in to install the Airbox and Throttle Bodies

Thanks to both you guys !! You really hooked me up !!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
;)

Man, that really hurt:( you would think I'd send you back a reply like that...when you are in turmoil trying to get the 'ol girl to keep from back talking you.

What really really hurt is....you thought of it before me.:eek:

LDH is handy as a pocket on a shirt some times, isn't he? The squirrels think he's a serial killer...:D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ha ha ....was going to tweak the map a bit today, but we are under a thunderstorm watch right now, so any test riding is out. Will probably do the mapping anyway, just no testing

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok...just tweaked the map a bit...took the "0" throttle position from 20 to 23. I also added "10" to the "0" position in the 1 and 1.5K ...seemed to help a bit with idling. Can't wait to try it out....just too damn wet outside to ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts