RC51 Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I am very pleased with the 520 conversion. I had AFAM iron 15T front sprocket, Hard anodized Rear sprocket, and DID EVR3 chain.

The bike rolls easier from a start and shifting seems a lot smoother. I have noticed acceleration is much quicker, but as for top speed, I don't know.

Totally worth it and was very cheap MOD!!:D

Good to hear Penn. That's what I've been running on my RC51 for the last 3 years. I get about 20,000 miles out of the AFAM rear sprocket. I'm happy with that, considering the weight savings of the 520 set.

So the outside plate comes off evenly. The outer link on every chain I have ever seen has two rivets.

Push two rivets/pull the outer link plate. Remove the outer link from the other side with the posts still on it.
Now I'm more confused.
Why do you bother taking the plate off?
I push out one rivet, that breaks the old chain, and off it comes.
Then I fit the new chain on, remove the excess links by pushing out 1 rivet to make it the correct length, then use the master link and new rivets to fasten the new chain together.

I am very pleased with the 520 conversion. I had AFAM iron 15T front sprocket, Hard anodized Rear sprocket, and DID EVR3 chain.

The bike rolls easier from a start and shifting seems a lot smoother. I have noticed acceleration is much quicker, but as for top speed, I don't know.

Totally worth it and was very cheap MOD!!:D
right on man. I really like how you don't have to feather the clutch so much when you're driving in town.

Good to hear Penn. That's what I've been running on my RC51 for the last 3 years. I get about 20,000 miles out of the AFAM rear sprocket. I'm happy with that, considering the weight savings of the 520 set.

Now I'm more confused.
Then I fit the new chain on, remove the excess links by pushing out 1 rivet to make it the correct length, then use the master link and new rivets to fasten the new chain together.
the only reason I do it that way is because I don't like breaking tips on my tools. I find it easier to go at it slow because I don't have a heavy duty chain breaker. when I pop the two mushrooms the plate just slides off and then the excess chain slides out of the inner

Now I'm more confused.

by the way I hope you're getting some good riding out there. I used to ride Ortega highway when I had my 600 RR and my Repsol 1000rr replica

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I used a grinder to remove the mushroom, that way my light duty chain breaker had an easier time removing the rivets. I was extremely careful and had no problems. I know it's a more difficult procedure, but it worked out fine. Now to get those darn pics up on here.

sprocket conversion

Here's how mine went...

Attachments

the only reason I do it that way is because I don't like breaking tips on my tools. I find it easier to go at it slow because I don't have a heavy duty chain breaker. when I pop the two mushrooms the plate just slides off and then the excess chain slides out of the inner
Ok, now I see what you're doing. And I understand why you mentioned that you don't like breaking tips on your chain tool.
I think grinding the rivet head off is the better way to go.

I guess a grinder is next on the list of tools I need to obtain. It would have come in handy a couple of times this month...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.