RC51 Forums banner

DID ERV3 too long??

5K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  jondog9 
#1 ·
I finally got around to installing my 15/41 and DID ERV3 chain, but the chain seems long. Do I need to remove some links? The chain is about 10 links too long.

Also, I have read that I require a DID chain specific tool to rivet the link. Would a universal riveter work?

Cheers

#8 ·
I'm sorry, but there is such a thing as a dumb question.
This isn't bike mechanics - this is just simple common sense.

You said you installed the chain. Unless you bought the bike with no chain on it, or somehow lost it, it's reasonable to presume you took the old chain off.

Depending on whether you have a SP1 or SP2 swingarm, and your tire size, you will need at least 104 links, or as many as 108.

#10 ·
Depending on what gear set you took off, if different from your new 15/41, you'll just need to fit it to the correct length.
Good chance that what you had before, 106, will fit fine. But make sure to have the wheel on and axle located to a point forward enough to allow for adequate rearward adjustment. Thread your axle adjustment bolts in almost all the way to start. Then put your chain on, and size to fit.
Once you have the correct length figured out, use your grinder (think you said you used one?) to remove as much of the rivet head as possible. Then use your chain breaker.

This is the one I use, and replacement bits are pretty cheap. I think I only paid about $6 each for a couple spares.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0058/

Sorry I yelled at you.
At least you didn't cut it to short. :D

#16 ·
Hey Penn, I have a Motion Pro which I use to break my chains. there is a trick to pushing the posts out. when you start pressing the rivets out of the link you need to do it very slowly and move back and forth between each post. that's what it took for me, it takes a little bit of finesse. I hope you enjoy your sprocket conversion I love mine.

#21 ·
I am very pleased with the 520 conversion. I had AFAM iron 15T front sprocket, Hard anodized Rear sprocket, and DID EVR3 chain.

The bike rolls easier from a start and shifting seems a lot smoother. I have noticed acceleration is much quicker, but as for top speed, I don't know.

Totally worth it and was very cheap MOD!!:D

#26 ·
I used a grinder to remove the mushroom, that way my light duty chain breaker had an easier time removing the rivets. I was extremely careful and had no problems. I know it's a more difficult procedure, but it worked out fine. Now to get those darn pics up on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.