RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a bad leak in my left side radiator on my 01 SP1. I have an oppurtunity to get the left radiator from an 03 SP2 for a great price and while I've heard they're not the same I was wondering just HOW different they are and if I can make the newer radiator work on my '01. Any input would be greatly appreciated! This site has been a life saver so far so heres hoping for continued luck, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
yep won't work. like rvt said the fan is operated by a scre in temp snsor whereas the SP2 uses an extra relay in the tail.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
If it is cheap enough, you could still buy it and just use the threaded part off your old radiator. Any radiator shop should be able to weld it on there. But that same radiator shop might also be able to fix the leak you currently have. It might be worth checking to see if your radiator is reparable before throwing dollars at the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great info as usual guys! Today I asked around and found a VERY reputable welding shop who specializes in aluminum welding and radiator work 15 minutes from my house. Im going to take them the radiator this week and let them do what they do. Thanks for all the advice and I'll keep it in mind if I do need to replace eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
The SP2 radiators have an extra mounting bracket on their upper rear part which mounts on a hole on the frame. The SP1 doesn't have those holes (left and right).
Also, like the guys before said, the SP2's left radiator doesn't have the threaded hole for the fan switch. The fans are engaged directly from the ECM through a relay (same one like the one for the high beam).

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
If it is cheap enough, you could still buy it and just use the threaded part off your old radiator. Any radiator shop should be able to weld it on there. But that same radiator shop might also be able to fix the leak you currently have. It might be worth checking to see if your radiator is reparable before throwing dollars at the problem.
That's what I did with mine. It had a puncture in the upper left tank portion which the flange-headed prior owner rigged with JB Weld (FYI it doesn't work with radiators).
I had it welded and pressure tested. No problems since.
And much, much cheaper than even a used radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts