RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to attempt this, any advice? I'd rather not drain if I don't have to. Also, I'm a little unclear where to apply the sealant as well afterwards. Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Most of the oil should be in the sump, so you shouldn't have to drain the oil.
There will a small amount of oil behind the cover, but it won't be a lot.
The gasket sealant goes on the alternator cover surface and the grommet for the alternator cable.
Apply a light thin film of sealant on the surface with the dowels out and allow to set for a few seconds. Then insert the dowels and overlay the gasket.
Then attach the cover, insert the bolts, and evenly tighten to spec.
I use Yamabond, but the other gasket sealers are pretty much the same stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I am just about to refit the stator cover and have been a little confused by the manual diagram madbuyer has shown, does the sealant go all around the cover or just in the 5-15mm sections shown by the lines in the diagram and if so why?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Just around insets for the rubber inserts for the stator and pulse generator wires.
That seals around the rubber parts to prevent leaks.

Same as the valve cover gasket where the half-moon portions fit into the head.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, So what's the lines on that diagram all about because they are no where near the cable grommets? Or I am I being very thick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did this a few years ago so this isn't all that fresh in my mind. It is possible to not drain the oil if you can have the bike balanced upright. I ended up removing the drain pan as I fumbled a metal dowel down into it (try not to do this!). I kind of scoffed the sealant when reinstalling the oil pan and the bike leaked like crazy until I reinstalled with sealant.

As for the sealant around the stator cover, I am almost positive it requires sealant all the way around. Good luck, this was kind of a PITA to do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check my bike though with regards to the sealant around the stator cover ^^^^. Because I'm not 100% and get back to you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cheers, I just dont understand why it says in the manual page that madbuyer attached to only apply sealant to those two small sections, what's so special about those sections. They are not where the grommets go. I'm sure the answer is simple but just not for me. Doh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts