RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been researching the internet on RC51's, which has meant reading a lot of articles from roughly 2000 to 2004. One comment I've seen a lot is about the styling, which is often described as more or less unremarkable. It certainly isn't radical looking, which is fine with me. In fact, I've always found the RC51 to be a very attractive bike, with a distinct appearance you can't overlook. So, what does everyone else think?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I thought the looks were quite nice.
Compared to other 8-10 year old bikes, it holds its looks well.
At least it's got a usable trunk area.
The Transformer bikes these days barely allow a shop rag, much less a Power Commander.
I'm sure it could use a slight refresh to sharpen the looks, but a good paint job can do that.
Probably the best thing for a redesign would be to reshape the tank near the steering head.
I would bring the tank sides inline with the frame rails.
It's a bit tight on the thumbs at it is at full lock.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Yea on the new paint. That's what I did and I'm really happy with the way it came out. I wouldn't change a thing, it's like a classic muscle car. I do like things like custom exhaust, levers, rearsets. No bling please. What I like best is the profile from side/rear. To me the girth of the bike, dual exhaust, and a good exhaust note, is what makes it a head-turner. Around here, RC51 sightings are rare. So when I see one go by, I get a little excited and think, That's a RC51!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I am with jondog9 the RC51 is a very unique bike. I like being different that is why I enjoy the VF1000R also. I love the sound of the V-twin and enjoy that not everyone has one. I would not change a thing for the styling, yes it would be nice to do one up in a different paint scheme but the '04 with the silver frame, white nose and tail stands out to me. Love riding and watching folks look and try to figure out what it is. Seems like everytime I go to a show or rally everyone seems to ask plenty of questions as to the bike and why Honda built a V-twin sportbike.
It is a classic and truly an icon for Honda

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I used to frequent a motorcycle cafe (until it closed sadly) and there was a fellow that had a brand new Aprilia RSV4 Factory. Cost him $23,000.
And he's over there checking out my RC51 while I'm checking out his Aprilia.
I wander back to my bike and he looks up and tells "these are really great bikes".
Gearheads appreciate the details. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I feel like the RC has a timeless look.
The reviews do all knock it as being plain looking, or something. But it caught my eyes immediately as a 15 year old when I first saw one.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I used to frequent a motorcycle cafe (until it closed sadly) and there was a fellow that had a brand new Aprilia RSV4 Factory. Cost him $23,000.
And he's over there checking out my RC51 while I'm checking out his Aprilia.
I wander back to my bike and he looks up and tells "these are really great bikes".
Gearheads appreciate the details. :)
Gawd I love the irony!
I think the RC51 will always look cool, custom or factory, against any other bike in it's class. No matter how much money. Some things just stand the test of time.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
It has a classic look, not too abrasive, but not plain either. It was designed with purpose in my mind and they kept it simple yet somehow managed to pack it full of character. compared to other bikes in 2000-2001 it looked pretty streamlined. Have to keep in mind this design is over 10 years old now.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I'll have to agree, after 8 years my RC still looks damn good but other bikes made in '03 don't look soo great..............maybe it's that all RC51 owners are classy and respect there bikes?? Most people just don't know i guess.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feel the RC51 truly has a personality, it has a heartbeat like no other bike I have been around. I love the bikes any year 2000 to 2006!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
to be honest i love the looks of my rc51, in my opinion i like my bike to look like my women, not to skinny like the newer bikes, and not to wide or bulky looking like the hayabusa and zx-14. i love all the bikes honda made circa 2000-2006. the 929, 954, and rc51 are my favorite of all times. its a shame i sold my 929...

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
^^ +1, if i didn't get the RC, I was going for the 954 or 929...................those bikes seem to all be very clean/great shape as well..........hardly ever see a crappy looking 929 or 954 here in va beach.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Come down here on the weekends here and there........I have my SV here but not registered, when it gets a little warmer i'll ride the RC fro WV to VA beach............i've meet 4 guys round here with RC's, what kind u riding?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the styling of it...everyone will have there opinion but its always how it makes u feel...When I first ran across the RC it made me think of Darth Vader they way the front headlights and ram air grill look!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was today on my bike at the Ocean Front.....Nice Bike Weather.
I was in virginia beach on friday!! the weather was 74 degrees...buddy of mine rode his zx10 down with me..stayed bout 4 hours, meet some riders posted at the BP station off the strip, ate and rode back to cville..love going thru the tunnel!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
i like the looks of my rc, although i prefer the looks of the newer bikes most specifically the new cbr1000rr, and even the new zx10r but not overly thrilled with the upper fairing design, i also like the look of the ktm but not crazy about the upper fairing, i like the aprilia but not crazy about the tail section, the 1198 is a nice looking bike too, but even that style is growing a little old for me. id still be very happy owning any one of those along side my rc. the rc is dated, but unique so that earns bonus points for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think the styling will hold up over time. Hell, Aprilia must have liked it because they modeled the front of the Mille after it. I will be honest though, not crazy about the tail. I think its just a bit too long. If it were a couple of inches shorter it would be perfect. Ive been researching a tail swap off of a present day bike but have found nothing. If anyone has seen anything in reference to this please let me know...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts