RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the RC51 really need a Steering Damper? The front end on these bikes seems very solid, so do they really need a Steering Damper? What are your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Im pretty confident about my RC being stable enough when ridden hard without a steering damper. And mines is jacked right up at the back with the Kyle link, sp2 arm and the 55 profile.

until i saw this anyway..............................

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
it can only be one of very few bikes with that exhaust setup. it does look like an RC51, but it could be a TL1000R, they have a similar exhaust setup and are real prone to tank slappin'

·
Registered
729 Posts
Does the RC51 really need a Steering Damper? The front end on these bikes seems very solid, so do they really need a Steering Damper? What are your thoughts.
Only you can answer this RC46, you have one fitted? take it off, ride the granny out of your bike and report back :)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Could be an SV in the video. Brakes aren't screaming RC51.

I will always has a stabilizer. Maybe issues from my past, but that's my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Dansp1 nailed it, really up to you. I've ridden my SP1 at the track without a damper (no issues), and ridden my SP2 at the track (with damper, fully down) and still didn't feel like I needed it.

Recently watched a video by Dave Moss and he mentioned that a damper normally hides an underlying issue with the bikes suspension setup. Once sag is properly set, then focus on rebound and compression settings. If all those things are correctly set, tank slappers should be minimal, then the damper would come into play for additional safety.

Just my personal experience and what I've seen on the internet (since all on the web is true :D )

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Being a GSX-R rider for the past 20 years, I have always had a steering damper because of the way the front end acted up. The RC seems more planted. Also the rider's weight is more forward on the RC, which translates to more weight on the forks. Most here seem to be more into upgrading, while the bike I bought already had a lot done to it, and I am just trying to see what is really needed and what isn't. In the end, a "show bike" tends to bring a man to his knees in a different way than one that is less "pretty". They all bite gravel (or something) at some point. A good damper may just save you from biting that pavement....righto nobody.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Personal preference...I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Which is why I own many weapons.:D

Recently watched a video by Dan Moss and he mentioned that a damper normally hides an underlying issue with the bikes suspension setup. Once sag is properly set, then focus on rebound and compression settings. If all those things are correctly set, tank slappers should be minimal, then the damper would come into play for additional safety.
Which is what should be done.....like I mentioned, its bling to 99.5% of us on this forum.;)

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Lol MB...but I'm trained in Arnis/Escrima, so I prefer the Filipino weapon of choice.

Never jams, always loaded and quiet. ;) like I said I'm old skool...

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Personal preference...I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
That's real world right there! +1

I have my Scotts set a little on the tight side, and I've felt the beginnings of a tank slapper only twice on my RC. I have to assume my negligible little wobble may have been more significant without it.
That guy in the video probably shat himself. :eek:
I would have.:D

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Lol MB...but I'm trained in Arnis/Escrima, so I prefer the Filipino weapon of choice.

Never jams, always loaded and quiet. ;) like I said I'm old skool...
Never bring a knife to a gun fight....:eek::D

Besides, if it does jam, just beat someone to death with it.:(

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
IMO every modern era supersport should have a steering damper. I got a tank slapper bad enough on an RC51 to damage the steering stops.

While the RC51 front end geometry is more stable and less aggressive than other bikes, there are other factors that can come into play. I've seen head shake or tank slappers from hitting a series of road bumps, ending a wheelie, and sliding out the rear or front. A steering damper can save you on any bike, including the RC51.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts