RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Me too. Guy was fun to watch. He was another one of those guys I followed in AMA all the way up.
It's really unfortunate.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
He made an excellent announcer earlier this year when he sat in with Gavin and the other guy. Nick? Anyway, he knows the riders and the tracks and the new machinery in a way that the announcers don't. He brings a whole new insight to the play-by-play action.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I don't think its Ducati's fault. He had a terrible time on the factory Yamaha as well. One of the only times i've seen a full factory ride back with the CRT's.

His first year in motogp looked promising but he just lost it after that. I hate to say it, but his heart was never in Motogp after the first year. He pretty much gave up. The biggest clue was last year. Usually when riders low side they run over to the bike and try to keep going and get back in the race....not Spies. Everytime he came off that bike he would just get up and walk off the track. Would never even glance at the bike. It was obvious he didn't want to be there.

It's too bad such talent is gone already but honestly after he got hurt he didn't make much of an attempt to come back. I'm sure he will be successful in whatever he does and hopefully a lot happier, because he sure wasn't happy in motogp.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think its Ducati's fault.

Title got your attention, didn't it.:D

Perception...Ride a Ducati, you're not gonna win. Therefore, Rossi being the exception because he sells t shirts, the riders just decline or get hurt too bad and don't run the bike to the edge in fear they will get hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
hahahaha yeah it did. I agree the Ducati right now is a TERRIBLE bike on a dry track.

As far as Spies is concerned though. He hurt that shoulder last year on the Yamaha. His career was over at the end of last season when he crashed out of half the races, and while on a factory Yamaha was getting beat by the Ducati's and CRT bikes.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Title got your attention, didn't it.:D

Perception...Ride a Ducati, you're not gonna win. Therefore, Rossi being the exception because he sells t shirts, the riders just decline or get hurt too bad and don't run the bike to the edge in fear they will get hurt.
^ Word

That sums it up for me.
Seeing Hayden get flung over the fence last year, and his forced exit from the track with a smoking engine just recently, kind of gave me a bit of doubt about Ducati. :D

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He can be a color commentator and then work at Colin's boot camp just to get by.:p

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
He would be amazing at both. Toseland was another rider who made a great commentator.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd like to think he's going to take a year off to rehab the shoulders right, without the pressure of having to return and fulfill a contract. I think a team in WSBK would take a chance on him after a year off to get well.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Shoulder injuries can, and have been, career killers. Especially of late.
As Swantz said, in the old days, you were most likely to have wrist and leg injuries from getting high-sided on the 500s.
But starting with the 800s, and now the 1000s, the most likely injury is collar bone and shoulder. Collar bones can heal quickly. Shoulder injuries can linger a long time, if not forever.

Spies had a major shoulder injury followed by injury to the other shoulder.
His shoulder injuries may be quasi-permanent..
On his Yamaha, he did have that "year in hell" where the strangest equipment failures occurred.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Spies first year on the factory yamaha was good he got a honest win and multiple podiums

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
hahaha....wow

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
IMHO Spies stopped being impressive from the moment he got on a Yamaha factory ride. Thereafter he went downhill. With the competitive nature of riders I think there has to be 110% commitment to be a success in Moto GP and Spies just didn't have that. He'd have to truly convince sponsors he has it in him to get back to a top tier ride again and that would be somewhat difficult given his recent history.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
i agree 100 percent Stig.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I think part of the big issue with Spies is that he was handed the keys to the kingdom too early. He did have some really bad luck, which I think he could have overcome, but when the factory is heavily favoring one rider (Jorge) on a team, and then doesn't back you up, you can lose your drive pretty quickly. Part of the reason why everyone likes guys like him, Crutchlow, Devisioso, Simoncelli, etc is that you KNOW they are on inferior bikes because they are satellite bikes. When they manage to finish the season or a race in the top 5, it's impressive. When you see them in factory colors, you expect them to perform regardless of anything else.

I also see a pattern with guys who don't come through the gp ranks, but instead come up through ama (bsb, whatever) & sbk. Other than Hayden, where have all the recent champions come from? You have to go all the way back to Kenny Roberts Jr to find one that didn't come up through gp. I think that lower level gp racing is just better at getting guys ready for the big show. And I think they've gotten better and better at it.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
That's why I admire the riders of old when they had to compete in the Grand National. Flat track, TT (aka steeplechase), and road racing.
Now that was a real test of various riders skill.
Dick Mann, Gary Nixon, Mert Lawwill, Kenny Roberts, et al. Legends.

Today, it would be like combining speedway, supermoto, and MotoGP.
Anyone who could win several of those would have my respect.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's why I admire the riders of old when they had to compete in the Grand National. Flat track, TT (aka steeplechase), and road racing.
Now that was a real test of various riders skill.
Dick Mann, Gary Nixon, Mert Lawwill, Kenny Roberts, et al. Legends.

Today, it would be like combining speedway, supermoto, and MotoGP.
Anyone who could win several of those would have my respect.
Good Lord Sub, you fecking plethora of knowledge...Wiki-anything ain't got shyt on you.

You made me feel old when I read " Mert Lawwill"....bring back a lot of good memories.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts