RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 748 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have read ALL the info I can find from here and speedzilla, and Ben's walk-through of it. Been shopping for parts lately since my recent down....
I have bought up the following parts to do the swing arm conversion on my sp1
-rear swing arm from sp2
-the sleeve for the engine
-the nut/bolt/adjusters/castle nuts from sp2
I do not know if I needed the rear axle and the chain adjusters ect too ( or if the sp1 stuff works on the sp2 arm ? ) so I got those too :rolleyes: (back up parts never hurt) I do not think I need anything else to complete the swap, if I do please point it out for me.:D

I have got this stuff coming in next week and my new Etho's slip on's are here now too, got them fitted and did a sound test....they sound awesome:eek::D !!! Thanks to gts455 on that !! I am just waiting on some stainless muffler hangers from Simon which he ordered up from Ladybird parts for me, Thanks Simon !!
I will post up my results on the swap.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read some where that the sp1 or 2 rear caliper bracket will work, and I am converting over to a 520 chain as mine is well worn and already have my new f/r chain sprockets.
I am not sure if I will need the wheel spacers as well although I don't think so.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Good on you for buying GTS's Ethos...absolutely beautiful and if they would have fit an SP2 they would have been mine. ; )

As for GTS, great guy and in all honesty one of the nicest fellows around these parts. He is what I consider a friend. Very helpful and knowledgeable, the kind of guy you want in your corner.

I bought some wheels from him awhile back (getting them this week) and there was lots of communications between us, I know you won't be disappointed.

Duck, do me a favour and make sure you put in some feedback on the transaction with Paul, I know it will be the truth.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duck, do me a favour and make sure you put in some feedback on the transaction with Paul, I know it will be the truth.
I just finished doing exactly that Nobody, He is a great guy and am glad I have had the opportunity to buy the slip on`s off him.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I have been reading even more about the swap, I have now ordered up the rear brake caliper hanger and the rear wheel axle spacers as well.
As soon as the swing arm get here it is going to be blasted and powder coated along with my F/R wheels, still looking for good price on the rear ohlins shock, I saw a combo pack type thing with rear Ohlins and DK link on flea bay, think I may do that.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Just bare in mind, if you ever want to do the shock link swap with Dane Kyle's one or Mori, that the SP1's swingarm works a lot better with it.
At least that's what I understood after reading texts on that subject.
If I am wrong please let me know guys!

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just bare in mind, if you ever want to do the shock link swap with Dane Kyle's one or Mori, that the SP1's swingarm works a lot better with it.
At least that's what I understood after reading texts on that subject.
If I am wrong please let me know guys!
I do think you are correct on that, as I recall LDH stating in another thread that he advised against the dk link with sp2 swingarm and Ohlins.
Why am I doing it then, because it will be alot better then my stock setup.
Now I am gonna do the Ohlins 20mm on my forks too, unless an Ohlins fork come up for grabs used, would rather new but I do not think that will happen.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
The link was developed to fix an issue in the geometry of the SP1 swingarm. This issue was fixed with the SP2. This is why the link is not needed with the SP2. At least this is what Dan told me about a year ago.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Just get a new shock from Dan Kyle Racing. They are a little under a grand to your door and will come sprung for your weight. Let them know if you are running a link. You won't find a better deal than that. I sold my used one for $800 when I needed some quick cash, and a little while later I knew I needed another one so I just bought new.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ethos design slip on's complete

Well my new Exhaust setup from gts455 is complete now, I just got my new Ladybird muffler clamp hangers from Simon in the mail today :D, gonna get them mounted with my Ethos designs setup tonight or tomorrow, depends if I can escape the wife an kids:rolleyes:
Simon is great to deal with !!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Parts

My SP2 swing arm and ALL the hardware for it came in the mail today.
I will post pics when I get off work/finish dinner, It is all there though
-SP2 swing arm
-all nuts/Bolts/castle nuts/frame hardware
-rear SP2 caliper hanger
-rear axle and wheel spacers
-sleeve from SP2 engine case
Next step is send it for bead blasting, $20 at local Powder shop, I am not sure if I want to go with the polished look which is $50 on the swing arm or get it flat black powder coated which is $60 including the blasting.:confused:
Not in a rush as Family vacation is coming up, and the bike will not be back on the road this year.
Just gonna take my time with stuff, and do it right.;)

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Pictures

Here is pics of the way the parts came, RVTGUY supplied the parts THANKS BUDDY !!!! AWESOME GUY !!! gave me wicked deal too, highly recommend RVTGUY ( Jeff Runyan ) as a seller and parts supplier. I have not cleaned them or decided how to go with the swing arm yet. Polished vs flat black ???
Consider these the before shots, Have the tools for castle nuts on the way as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It looks like the bike, that the swingarm came out from, was incinerated :D
Yeah, it is dirty...It has like a white film and redish rust color from the chain but that is used parts, but it will clean up good and look like new. Just a lil bit of paint chips and stuff, no damage or marks at all which is what counts.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
update

The sp2 swing arm is in getting bead blasted and powder coated in matte black.
While this is happening I am taking off what is needed to get good access for removing my sp1 swing arm, I will be taking step by step shots of the process when it comes time. I should be able pick up the sp2 swing arm by the end of the week. Well I am into the swing arm swap, I am doing the nicky mod on my sprocket cover and also have a DID 520 chain conversion kit w/steel spockets 15/42 gearing coming in a my local shop any day now, I went with a gold color one.
Ordered up a set of new bearings for it as well from the local Honda shop....SGPOWER
My swing arm castle nut tool has not arrived yet.
So I finished modding the sleeve so I do not have to drop the engine to fit it in, went with out problem, I can under stand why people concerned with weight reduction install aluminum replacements as the steel one that comes from an sp2 engine case is fairly heavy for what it is.
1st pic is sleeve before modding ( see flange ) at the top with the rest of mounting hardware.
Last two pics are after modifying the sleeve.
More soon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
update

another update....
Just want to say thanks to Ben at RC51parts for great communication on the multi tool for SP1-SP2 swing arm and engine mounts castle nut tool, as I got one from him,great guy.
Another thank you goes out to 1971allchaos for this scotts steering damper in gold color, can not wait to find a mounting kit for it.
I also am posting a pic of my rough cut version of the nicky front sprocket cover mod, just gots to clean it up bit more and get it painted then its done, it is an easy mod to do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nicky moded sprocket cover looks good!!!
I am not mentioning the Scott's steering damper in gold color cause I am still drooling......darn!
Have fun man.......
Thanks Makis, The modded sproket cover really is easy to do, and I am glad I got around to it now as the bikes is all apart, been meaning to do it for awhile:rolleyes:
I am still drooling over the scott's damper myself....as I do not even have it yet :D,1971allchaos has it on the way though :cool:
As for having fun I like the wrenching part just as much as the riding part so I will do that, still can not wait to get on this thing again, will have to wait until spring of next year thou, plenty more time for more bits and pieces mean while:D

1 - 20 of 748 Posts