RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone wired their headlights to run dual headlights I never cared for the one headlight look not to mention I'd like to have the extra light without toggling the brights or getting flashed when I leave the brights on. Thanks for any input on this

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wiring both lights to be on all the time is the same as keeping your highbeam on all the time:confused: You're still going to get people high beaming you, except you won't be able to dim your lights

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would appreciate that I never cared for the one headlight. I had a 2001 vfr 800 with duel high & low beams and the lighting was great and by getting the adaptor rings and clipping a tab you could run the silverstars instead of the specialty Honda bulbs. Besides being able to see better you could see a cop quite a ways down the road when the lights hit the reflective graphics or licences plate

·
Registered
101 Posts
The lowbeam and highbeam bulbs are the same, the housing for the highbeam reflects the light differently (higher and further out) and that's what makes it a highbeam. Putting a dual element bulb in won't change the way the light is projected(if it's on it's a highbeam) .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured that would be what would be the answer in the end I was hoping someone might of come up with something that would work. I've had a 748s and a xb1200r both with one headlight projection beams. I just never saw the reasoning in running one headlight when you have two

·
Registered
101 Posts
With two separate lights they can optimize the reflectors of each light for their specific job. With a light that is used for both high and low beams the reflector has to be a compromise between the two. Having two dedicated lights actually gets you better lighting with a more even spread of light.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
RE: DUAL, not "duel" headlights on RC51

If you want both headlights illuminated on your RC51, and you want people to see you for safety, do what I do.

Install one of these:

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

And then ride with your HI-Beams on.

The modulation is a life saver. I can see people seeing me, it is fantastic.

Love those dual headlights.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
No, they are not.....

Headlight modulators are legal, it is a federal law. Kissan provides a copy of the law for you to carry with you if you ever get pulled over.

FWIW, I have ridden over 100,000 miles with a headlight modulator and have never been pulled over for having one. I have a headlight modulator on my Ducati Monster, my Honda RC51, and my Suzuki V-Strom.

If you want to decrease the chance of that soccer mom turning left in front of you, install one on your bike.

Here is the statute:

USA - Department of Transportation:

FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in Section S7.9.4.

CANADA - Canada Transport:

FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all Provinces provided they comply with the standards set forth in Section S7.9.4.

Kisan Headlight modulators are manufactured and tested to be in full compliance with US Department of Transportation (DOT) Standard 108 and Transport Canada Technical Standard 108.

Title 49 USC 30103(b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108. No State or Local ordinance shall usurp the authority and enforcement of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Cheers.

·
Registered
728 Posts
here in CA at the MSF course they state they are illegal. granted its been 6 years since I took it but yeah... i remember them saying buy at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Worth the risk...

....if it saves your life, what price on that?

....if you get pulled over, whip out the copy of the law that comes with the unit, show it to the officer, and plead ignorance.

What's the worst that could happen?

I live in a part of the country that feels like a Police State at times, and I have never been questioned about my headlight modulator.

Cheers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you don't ride at night with that strobe light on it would be like a riding in a 80s roller rink. That's funny the deer wouldn't know which way to run when you go blasting down the road with that on

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
cantonRC.....

.....no, it doesn't strobe at night.

If you take a moment to visit the link I posted and read the information contained there, you will find that the unit comes with a daylight sensor.

When the sensor detects that you are riding at night, or in a dark tunnel, it turns the strobe effect off and the light reverts to a normal Hi-Beam.

It is a very smart, state-of-the-art system that, if it saves you from just one brain dead cager, is worth every penny.

As I stated above, I see people "seeing" me every time I ride with it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Here in Northern CA, the cops, especially the motorcycle cops, are pulling people over for ANYthing they can. In the last three months, I've been pulled over 3 times for the most trivial/technical BS. It really feels like these cops are just sitting around waiting for motorists to make the tiniest mistake, then they lecture you about why your action was unsafe or illegal. All have been in my car, and I drive very legal at 51 yrs old. ARRRGGGHHHHHH.

I'm sorry; I digress.

I've seen quite a few bikes with these modulators here in Sacramento area. I feel like they actually draw a normal motorist's attention (away from la-la-land), and to me that's a good thing. More visibility, way more in this case, is a good thing. Cagers, cell phone yakking soccer moms, senior citizens driving on their perscriptions, high school students that have way more balls than brains, and the occasional 'motorcycle hater'.
They are out there everytime we ride.

I'm all for the modulators, will verify the legalities, and that will be my next mod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts