RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a set of used Dymag cast magnesium wheels for my '04 and finally got them on the bike. Holy smokes, what a nice difference! Easier to turn, but really makes a difference when going back and forth, like through esses. I like the silver better than the OEM black, too. If you can get your paws on any sort of lighter wheels, go for it. Carbon wheels must really be crazy. Thanks Mark!!

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Be sure to inspect your wheels often.
Magnesium is light, but a very reactive metal that also tends to creep over time.
Be sure to check for corrosion around bolt holes and re-torque if needed.
Magnesium really reacts around titanium, so be sure to use anti-seize or thread locker with Ti bolts threaded into magnesium.

·
Banned
427 Posts
have not had a issue with my dymag mag/carbon wheels on my RC for 8 years so far and i have another set of their mags on my RC30 without issue and i have owned several other mag wheels from marchi and dymag and never had one issue with any of them either

that being said i also own 4 sets of carrozzeria aluminums and they are perfect despite what others might say too

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Good to hear about the reliability.
Never having owned magnesium wheels, it's always good to separate hearsay from fact.
My Marchesini aluminum wheels have been stellar in performance.
I have had my eye on Carrozzeria Tri-R wheels since they were announced.

As an FYI, Dymag went into bankruptcy last year, but was bought by CSA Performance Wheels of Singapore. They are still made in the UK.
http://www.csaperformancewheels.com/

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i knew i read it. I think it was when j. dunlops rear wheel exploded at the nw 200 or isle of man. Dymag recalled all the mag wheels but this was alot of years ago so im sure they got it worked out. did this contribute to the bankruptcy?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
i knew i read it. I think it was when j. dunlops rear wheel exploded at the nw 200 or isle of man. Dymag recalled all the mag wheels but this was alot of years ago so im sure they got it worked out. did this contribute to the bankruptcy?
I'm pretty sure the economy contributed to the change of ownership.
Pretty much like most businesses these days.
If you look at the current prices Marchesini charges for their aluminum wheels (much less magnesium) you'll see my point.

Used to be BST wheels were way higher (about a $1000) than Marchesini magnesium wheels. Now they're almost at parity (BST came down in price while Marchesini went up).

That's why I've been keeping my eye on the Carrozzeria Tri-R wheels, where you have almost the weight of magnesium but made of aluminum, and the price is still reasonable by even today's standards.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recently picked up a set of used Dymag cast magnesium wheels for my '04 and finally got them on the bike. Holy smokes, what a nice difference! Easier to turn, but really makes a difference when going back and forth, like through esses. I like the silver better than the OEM black, too. If you can get your paws on any sort of lighter wheels, go for it. Carbon wheels must really be crazy. Thanks Mark!!
Congratulations on your wheels, I went the BST route with Michelin Power Pure tires, and loving it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to keep an eye on them, but so far so good. They'll need some new Pilot Pures soon, then I can finally make the jump to 190/55. My only issue is the wheel came with a 42-tooth rear sprocket, and the bolt pattern is different than the standard 520 conversion I bought, so I think I need a Kawi sprocket. As is, it fits pretty far up in the swingarm, I'm wondering if the 55 tire will fit.

·
Banned
427 Posts
i can get you deals on carrozzerias too FWIW

BST's rock if you can swing it but good ole alums are fine on the 51 as the OEM wheels weigh a ton and it is a great mod IMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know how to get a hold of a dymag mag/carbon fiber front wheel

have not had a issue with my dymag mag/carbon wheels on my RC for 8 years so far and i have another set of their mags on my RC30 without issue and i have owned several other mag wheels from marchi and dymag and never had one issue with any of them either

that being said i also own 4 sets of carrozzeria aluminums and they are perfect despite what others might say too
I cracked up my Dymag mag/carbon fiber front wheel, and am looking to replace it. Does anyone know of any place I can find one? I would greatly appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts