RC51 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 RC51 with Tyga mufflers and no power commander. The bike rides reasonably well as is. What I noticed is it takes a bit to start from a cold start and once while cruising at a low speed the plugs seemed to foul (rich) requiring and little spirited riding to clean them up. I called a couple of shops to get rates for a custom map with a PC3usb and last shop quoted me $500 which seemed really high. When I asked why he said with twins he has to map each cylinder separately. Has anyone heard of this? Most shops quoted me 2-3 hours or $250-$200.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I've seen quotes of $250-$300 for a custom map so price seems reasonable.

PCV can do f and r cylinder mapping separately with a 02 sensors/bung in the header for each cylinder. I don't expect that shop to realize the RC51 doesn't have that. So it's either a simple map with sniffer in the exhaust can and maybe/likely marginally cheaper, or more work and money to do the f/r cylinder mapping.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I forgot to mention is that this shop recently had new software installed to support the new PC6 that is coming out.

Maybe I will reach out to Power Commander to see how they would dyno a twin. Why would a twin be more money than an inline 4. It just seems odd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts