RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eastern US ride/meet

The worldwide RC meet thread has me thinking about figuring out a weekend Eastern US meet.

I know a few members already live in this area but for those of us that don't, logistically, I feel that it would be the simplest if everyone involved would book their own lodging if needed. Unless someone has a platinum card who wants to orchestrate and take on the risk of booking multiple rooms at one place.

This location , just east of Asheville, NC has a collection of different hotels, from a Motel 6 to the Biltmore Days Inn East, restaurants, gas stations, near to one of the entrances of the Blue Ridge Parkway and a lot of other great roads.

I’m going to use the intersection of Tunnel Rd/NC Hwy 70 and Porters Cove Rd as home base.

The itinerary:

Saturday morning meet for breakfast at either the local IHOP (directions)

After breakfast head out on the first part of the route Leg 1 Stopping for a stretch in Hot Springs, then continuing on to our refuel point Leg 2 At the end of Leg 2 we will be stopping and a BP/McDonald's for gas/snacks. At this point we will have covered about 108 miles, so I know we all will need to refuel. Leg 3 will take us to another spot to stop and stretch. After that the ride will conclude back at the home base area.Leg 4

After the ride there will be time for a shower, change, refuel, etc. before dinner drinks and more shit talking:cool: at Longhorn Steakhouse (directions)

Sunday morning is going to be a shorter ride to accommodate those who have traveled and need time to get home. This ride will be basically up the Blue Ridge Parkway and back. There are many areas to stop and stretch along this route, the stops indicated on the maps are just the ones I've stopped at before.
Stage 1
Stage 2

Who would be willing to make the trip? What weekend could you do it?
Lets make this happen!

James

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I'm still in if it happens Spring/early summer.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I just updated the original post.

This afternoon I took the cage to check out some of the roads for the original Sunday ride. Good thing I did, part of the route is a dirt road.

Let make this happen!
This is why I like to make routes using Google Earth with its Street View feature.

And if there's no Street View data, you probably don't wanna street bike it anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is why I like to make routes using Google Earth with its Street View feature.

And if there's no Street View data, you probably don't wanna street bike it anyway.
Very true, but clicking through a 100 mile route on street view would be very time consuming.

Take a look at the street view just outside that section, to the north brand new pavement and to the south I'd say it's only a few years old.

It's really to bad about that section, now that road is only good for a down and back. The road north is full of sweepers, S'es and switch backs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Ah, thought you were planning like an Eastern seaboard-mountain-esk type trip....Maine lobster would be quite a treat.:D

You're just staying in the state for the most part.:rolleyes::p

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, thought you were planning like an Eastern seaboard-mountain-esk type trip....Maine lobster would be quite a treat.:D

You're just staying in the state for the most part.:rolleyes::p
As cool as that would be, this is not that. Just a weekend deal that stays mostly just in western NC.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay gents, a tentative date end of March, early April time frame, that work you?

Here's the average high and low temperatures in Asheville over the past 30 years.
http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology/monthly/USNC0022

May is out for me: I have my wedding and honeymoon.
June, July, August: are iffy, I'll have my son sometime during, depending on the courts.
And anyhow August is the Indy GP, so we all need to congregate at Mad buyer's place and go to the race.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Okay gents, a tentative date end of March, early April time frame, that work you?

Here's the average high and low temperatures in Asheville over the past 30 years.
http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology/monthly/USNC0022

May is out for me: I have my wedding and honeymoon.
June, July, August: are iffy, I'll have my son sometime during, depending on the courts.
And anyhow August is the Indy GP, so we all need to congregate at Mad buyer's place and go to the race.

That should work for me. As you know the weekend of the 15th in March doesn't work (opening track day)...but other than that I should be good. I'll be 100% sure in a few weeks once I receive my web orders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts