RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am in the market now for a set of OEM style fairings. On ebay, you can purchase a set of quote "premium" plastic fairings for approx 500.oo. They also sell cheaper ones, which i am reluctant to bid on, that cost approx. 250-300.oo. At any rate, I have been wondering if anyone on the forum has purchased the 500 dollar fairing kits listed on ebay. They have all of the decals and appear to be identical to OEM fairings, plus, 500 bucks is a lot cheaper for a set of plastics than a full set of plastics from Honda. If i decide to buy a set of these plastics, how do i accurately find and drill the holes for a pair of frame sliders? I'm afraid that if i drill holes, install the sliders, and then try to install the plastics, that my holes will be totally off and I will be stuck with a ruined set of side fairings, lol. If you have any ideas, comments, or positive/negative feedback, hit me back! I'm seeking knowledge. Thanks. YumYumChef

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Not sure if you saw this thread, may help you a little.
That is so funny, I just searched for that thread, did the control copy, and was ready to post when I saw you just beat me to it. :)

Hi Chef Luis. I would recommend searching and waiting to find used OEM plastics. Some may need paint, or plastic weld (which works amazingly well these days). But the overall quality is so much better than anything aftermarket when it comes to plastics.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bought a set they fit pretty good. I'm not going for a full restoration just a clean looking bike. Still look around now and again for oem stuff but price will have to be right for me to buy it. Plus can drill for frame sliders and decal the crap out of my bike and not care.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
If you are worried about the holes lining up for your sliders, eyeball the spot you think the hole needs to be and put a nice blob of play-dough on the inside of the fairing and press the panel into place. The bolt and nut wil leave an imprint in the dough where you need to drill the pilot hole.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a set of the ebay fairings I'm using as track plastics. They took some elbow grease to stretch and drill holes properly. My tail section still doesn't line up properly and where the side fairings meet the front upper doesn't line up that great either. They work as track plastics, won't be winning any shows but from 5 feet you can't really see the fitment issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put a set on a friends zx6r. And I was suprised at how nice they where. Had to do a little work with a dremel to help with fit. I plan on getting a set for the rc.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have had a set of ebay fairings now for about 2 years. To make a long story short, if your thinking of purchasing a set, look long and hard for the set that best matches that ome paint scheme. Make sure to line the inside of the fairing with heat resistance tape ( you could never have to much) and have someone who knows about bodywork and fitment put them on if they are not per-drilled.
Personally I don't see anything wrong with them as a temporary fix. I would much rather have them then someone wreck fairings with scratches all over. I would rather spend the extra money on mods and then come back to OME plastic. That's just me

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had bought a set of chinese fairings from ebay for my cbr 1000rr and they didn't seem to fit right and they actually caught fire down on the bottom because the clearence to the exhaust, so i replaced them with OEM and had no problems. the abs plastic used to make them seems to be thinner and less resistant to heat. my advice find some OEM so as not to have issues.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Maybe we can start another "What oil should I use" thread....:rolleyes::cool::D

By the way Chef, I hope you are healing up well. Any chance you making the trip to the Indy MotoGP?

I am waiting on your weekly thread of how to make what you consider signature dishes...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts