RC51 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought an 03 RC51 streetfighter aka "savaged wrecked" everything on the bike is good but no fairings.

there are several listings on ebay for RC51 fairings. they generally list for around 250.00 to 300.00 for a complete set (9 pieces). the info given is hong kong with a shipping price of 300.00. does anyone know if these fairing kits are worthy or a cheap product.

any info on replacement parts is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i just bought an 03 RC51 streetfighter aka "savaged wrecked" everything on the bike is good but no fairings.

there are several listings on ebay for RC51 fairings. they generally list for around 250.00 to 300.00 for a complete set (9 pieces). the info given is hong kong with a shipping price of 300.00. does anyone know if these fairing kits are worthy or a cheap product.

any info on replacement parts is greatly appreciated!!

read this :) :

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-general-discussion/58844-fairing-plastics-china.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was going to make a new thread when I'm done with my bike, but since this came up I can give some pointers so far. I haven't finished the mounting of the fairings yet, but close. I will see if I have time to put some more effort in it this weekend.

Basicly the fitting is not perfect, but not too bad either. It takes some modifications here and there but I have no doubts that it will look good when I'm finished.

The main issue so far is the mounting of the lights in the top fairing. I chose to move some of the mounting points to have a better fitting, but I haven't mounted the lights after this.

Some pictures of my project:

Mounting points

I made the flapper mod at the same time...

as well as the pair mod

·
Registered
34 Posts
More pics...

I have the durbahn airbox, will probably change position of the velocity stacks

LED indicators

Modified sprocket cover. Renthal ultralight sprocket front and...

...rear

·
Registered
86 Posts
That looks quite nice :)

Did you get these from ebay?

Would be interested to see how it turns out, as I am in two minds about buying a set of these ebay fairings as |I have heard both good, and horrendously bad things things about them (melting lowers, bad fitment etc)

·
Registered
34 Posts
That looks quite nice :)

Did you get these from ebay?

Would be interested to see how it turns out, as I am in two minds about buying a set of these ebay fairings as |I have heard both good, and horrendously bad things things about them (melting lowers, bad fitment etc)
Yes, they are from auctmart, as you can see on the picture I willl not be able to test runt them to see if the lowers will burn. On the other hand I already have plans to put heatshield tape there so I hope that prevent any burning tendencies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, they are from auctmart, as you can see on the picture I willl not be able to test runt them to see if the lowers will burn. On the other hand I already have plans to put heatshield tape there so I hope that prevent any burning tendencies.

Cool! will look forward to hearing your thoughts on it once its finished........:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the input guys. i think im going with the auctmart seller on ebay. atleast the seller specifies between the SP1 and SP2 models which i have researched and the rear subframe differs in the those models which should have an impact on fitting the pieces.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ebay fairings

I think that it depends on the company that you buy them from as to how well they fit! I found that out the hard way. The tail was the only thing that fit close enought to use without any major modification. Then I wrecked the bike and toasted the tail, so I went back to OEM. If you could give some closer pointers on what needs to be done to the set that you put on that would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rc51

i paid 2k for the bike and its an 03 with supposedly 5800 miles. the bike was wrecked and then turned into a "street fighter". the frame, the engine, swingarm, wheels and forks are in great shape. there are no fairings or subframe. i plan on fixing it back as i get the money, but im still learning the small differences between the SP1 and SP2, example. the subframes are different and the right side radiator are different, both of which i will have to buy..

·
Registered
18 Posts
how is the headlight mounting coming along? i heard that the tabs is easily broken off and the fitment for the headlight have some issue.
how do you find the quality of the fairings? alot thinner than OEM?
just trying to find out more since the stuff coming form China is suppose to be getting better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
how is the headlight mounting coming along? i heard that the tabs is easily broken off and the fitment for the headlight have some issue.
how do you find the quality of the fairings? alot thinner than OEM?
just trying to find out more since the stuff coming form China is suppose to be getting better.
The headlight mounting is far from perfect when the farirings arrived. I had to remove 4 of the 6 mounting points and relocate them to have a decent fit. However it is still a lot of tension in the mounting points and I haven't been in the garage for a while to continue. We have 1ft of snow and temperatures well below zero here in Sweden so the motivation isn't to good atm.

I will continue to report once I get started again.

The quality is of course far from OEM, and the china fairings have a tendency to crack much easier.

·
Registered
67 Posts
as faras the melying of the lowers go it does happen almost every time, but there is a very cheap and easy fix. i used dynamat and ran it along the fairing where the exhaust came close to it. i have done this on 3 bikes and it works perfect, heat wrap and stuff doesnt seem to work as well. trust me spend 10.00 and get some dynamat you will be glad you did

1 - 14 of 14 Posts