RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my RC after a stop I made on a ride last Saturday and it hesitated like it wasn't going to start but went ahead and fired up like I expected it to. As I pulled away I noticed that the speedometer had been reset to the odometer. I had it set to the trip meter. When changed it back to the trip meter, I saw that it had been reset back to zero, but it functioned fine. This is the second time I've had the speedo reset by itself.

I have a fresh battery and I've checked the terminals and they are tight. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm wanting to take a trip soon and this makes me nervous.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Mine has reset several times in it's life and slow cranks on occasion but always starts and behaves like a HONDA :D

Makes me nervous too.

F.W.I.W. my battery is a no-name 8 year-old tiny thing I got from heavyzee back on speedzilla when I did the relocate mod in 2006

·
Registered
729 Posts
my bike (2000 model) has done this from new, never failed to start; yuasa battery, Li Po, all the same, with or without pc11, i pulled the starter motor and checked the brushes ten years ago, they were fine, i have put up with it ever since.
If you leave the throttle alone it is less of a problem, but since i have no (choke) fast idle cable on mine i generally crack the throttle and suffer the slow cranking speed and resetting the dash

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Mine has reset several times in it's life and slow cranks on occasion but always starts and behaves like a HONDA :D

Makes me nervous too.

F.W.I.W. my battery is a no-name 8 year-old tiny thing I got from heavyzee back on speedzilla when I did the relocate mod in 2006
That sounds like it has barely enough cold cranking amps to spin the engine.
The voltage level drops to where the ECU may start hickupping.

A higher capacity battery may be needed for your locale, especially when the weather gets cooler this fall.

That's the main reason why I went with the 18 Ah Shorai vs. 12 Ah model.
The weight was irrelevant (still super light), but I wanted those extra cranking amps for those two big pistons when the weather gets cool.

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That sounds like it has barely enough cold cranking amps to spin the engine.
The voltage level drops to where the ECU may start hickupping.

A higher capacity battery may be needed for your locale, especially when the weather gets cooler this fall.

That's the main reason why I went with the 18 Ah Shorai vs. 12 Ah model.
The weight was irrelevant (still super light), but I wanted those extra cranking amps for those two big pistons when the weather gets cool.
Sub, there was not anything but the little yuasa or mil spec abc cells 8 years back and they were a hit or miss depending who built them and if the were real or counterfeit:eek: some dude named Jason got sued for marketing his brand and there's a big thread someplace about it.

So about my set-up I have never lost a map or had a no start condition and paid like $150.00 for the whole shebang bracket cables and all 20,000 miles and 8 years ago used.

And now that I think about it since I installed my oh so sik Dr. Carbon headlight filler it hasn't happened.

FIX ON FAIL ;)and who knows by then there may be watch batteries with 500 CCA :cool:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
On another related note BRAND LOYALTY IS GETTING MORE AND MORE VAGUE EVERY DAY:mad:

FROM CHINESE SNAP-ON POCKETKNIVES TO FAKE GM BRAKE ROTORS TO TRUSTED YUASA BATTERIES:mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
On another related note BRAND LOYALTY IS GETTING MORE AND MORE VAGUE EVERY DAY:mad:

FROM CHINESE SNAP-ON POCKETKNIVES TO FAKE GM BRAKE ROTORS TO TRUSTED YUASA BATTERIES:mad::mad::mad:

Yes....Craftsman finally sold out to the Chinese too. Damn hard to find a quality USA made hand tool these days.:mad:

Good thing is, I have a lot of the hand tools I will every need and many duplicates.

Big question is, if I ever take a broken USA Craftsman tool into Sear or now K-Mart:rolleyes:, will they try to replace with the Chinese shit? That will be an excellent argument.:D

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.....;)

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Oh man, you got me started again with crap made in China and greedy corporations. Cheap cost, max profit.

I told people Ross Perot was right when he talked about that sucking sound being heard if NAFTA was passed.
And people thought he was just a crazy old man. Crazy like a fox.

As for Sears and Craftsman Tools, at the rate they're losing money, yours, mine, and everybody's warranty won't be worth anything when they go bankrupt.

I went to the local Sears tool department last month, and it was gutted.
It's pretty much not even worth the drive as they don't have anything in stock.
Oh they can order it, but when I need a tool, I usually need it yesterday, not next week.

It's just sad when Harbor Freight is the tool store to visit. And it's total Chinese made shit there.
I expect their tools to be cheap with no expectation of quality or longevity.

·
Registered
42 Posts
^ Same here, bigger battery, Yuasa 14H. Never once had my speedo/odo reset like that, or any other issues like OP described.
My RC is doing the same thing. A little gas at start up, trip reset, but runs fine. Not sure how old the battery is but I am going to check the charging system tomorrow. What model Yuasa are you using now? I will get the bigger cranking up one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The original battery was a Yuasa YTZ12S, and it was bad. It was 3 years old and was not holding a charge so I replaced it with a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 last weekend. I've only ridden the bike to work once since, but it does turn over better than before.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
The original battery was a Yuasa YTZ12S, and it was bad. It was 3 years old and was not holding a charge so I replaced it with a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 last weekend. I've only ridden the bike to work once since, but it does turn over better than before.
Dang Joe, we have that exact Shorai sitting at work. I could have bought if for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In case you guys have never seen it, if you go to electrosport.com and on the first page click on Technical Resources, then on the next page, Diagnosis Center, Then Fault Finding Guide, Then on the last page, click Download Electrical Fault Finding Chart. This chart and a multimeter will walk you through checking your electrical system. Have to start with a fully charged battery and it has to start and run but it will tell you if your RR or stator are malfunctioning and a few other possible problems. It has helped me out tremendously and I have a printed copy in my cabinet with my electrical components.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts