RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Electrical/starter fault

On my 2000 SP1, I seem to have an intermittent starter/fuel pump fault. Last time I tried it, ignition on - no fuel pump prime. Flicked the ignition on/off a couple of times before it eventually primed. Fi light was on, pressed starter button......... and nothing. It doesn't happen every time though, as about a week before, it started up no problem??

I know there are other similar threads out there, but most of them seem to be to do with the fuel pump not priming at all. Whereas mine does, but when I hit the starter button, I get zilch??

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
It could be your relay(s) going bad. Either the bank angle relay or the fuel cut-off relay located in your tail section.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Yes, I mean the kill switch, since he mentioned that he flicked the ignition on/off a couple of times.

It could also be a faulty key switch as well.

Both can be measured in their connectors for stable on/off state once they are engaged to the specific position.

Lots of electrical gremlins feed off corrosion within the connectors if those are not filled with dielectric grease.

It's the simplest think to do IMO before start to jump wiring the relays

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Bad relays are the most likely culprit. Probably the bank angle relay.
Also make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Is there any way to see if they're faulty visually or will it be a matter of swapping them around to see which are working?

Also, in the picture above (thanks for posting that by the way), which is bank/fuel pump etc?

·
Registered
11 Posts
if number 1 or 3 is bad - fuel pump dont work. number 2 is for radiators cooling. but it on my sp-2. on my friends sp-1 number 2 is for turn signals. visualy you will not see. you can take all your ralay and go to any electric man - he use tester and say which is bad. and in a long travel must have a pare of good ralay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your help hellboy (and to everyone else). Will check the relays out when I next get a chance.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Start by downloading this little guy...

http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

And simply swapping relays around won't tell you anything because if either the fuel cut-off or bank angle relay is bad...the whole system won't work.

You can use your headlight relay (located on the front left) as a known "good" and try swapping out one at a time.

Relays are pretty cheap...$30-$35. After my relay went out I purchased a few spare for just such a situation. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Your highbeam relay is the same relay. You can take that one and try in your bank angle or fuel prime relay socket. You can also switch your fuel prime relay and your bank angle relay into your highbeam socket, and cycle the highbeams several times to test.
The highbeam relay is tucked in the left inner front fairing area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts