RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after numerous email between John and I at Elka products.....
I think he may be joining us here as a vendor or perhaps a site sponsor !!!!
As I suggested it to him......
I hope so, great service from him for me so far !!!!
I hope to see it become a reality !!!!:D:)

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems VerticalScope is pricy, a little much so for Elka products. As they can not justify spend big dollars on advertising with out serious interest from members.

So with that said. If looking for info or good pricing.....Contact me with a P.M, I will put you in contact with John via email and I can get you a discount of sorts.

Also.....John can also set up group buys with a combined discount.

Just let me know.

Best I can do for us here guys, I did try though.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Email from John

Hello Matt,

I am more than willing to extend special group buy rates to anyone who is interested.

Here is what I am ready to offer:

If I can get a group of 5-10 riders looking for a shock, the discount will be -15% off the regular MSRP price for the shock. If the numbers are between 10-15, it goes to -20%. Best case scenario, members can get a brand new custom built ( spring and valving spec) shock for $836. I will throw in a cap or t-shirt ( whatever is preferred) with every order.

Regards,

John Ilkiw
Motorcycle Products

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't recall Ohlins giving away shirts/hats with there products.:p:D

Not that I am against Ohlins or anything, Best product I think is out there...
But this is the next best option and works out to be cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RC-51 02-06 HO204 46PRXLS $1457. $949 INVENTORY BLOW OUT

http://www.hardracing.com/Ohlins.htm
I own SP1, And that is a very good price BTW. BUT, still cheaper with Elka and you get a free shirt or cap :p:D!!!
Yes I know Ohlins is a technically better part but....as a Canadian I am proud to support Elka and the Canadian Economy.:D

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think both are great products...
Yes I know that, It was through your knowledge on the Elka and your advice that I jumped on it.
Also Nobody, Redbird above there..... Has an NICE SP2 and I think he may be interested in hooking up with us when we do our get together come late spring.
So far, there is 3 of us to go terrorize the back roads, and cast the sound of music out and about:D;):cool:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Hell they were giving Elka shocks out at Daytona a few years back to any AMA rider that would use them. Apparently most were handed back :) That's not a joke btw...

I've tested ELKA along with just about every other brand you can think of Specifically on the RC51 and like most they are better than the stock piece of crap that comes on the bike as OEM fitment and they are really pretty to look at, but a far cry from the performance of the industry standard that Ohlins is. For the difference of $100 and a hat :rolleyes: I cannot fathom why anyone would not want the same brand that the world ranked professionals use on their bikes. Even Honda who owns SHOWA suspension is using Ohlins on their MotoGP bikes. I cannot think of any world level roadracing championship winning bike that is not using Ohlins instead of WP, Penske, Elka, Matris etc. The gold stuff works and it does it with the least amount of effort required. Bolt it on, set the sag and go flog the snot outta it. You don't need a technician standing by trackside to help you dial it in etc which is exactly why I chose Ohlins rather than other brands.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was teasing Mike, LOL.... I know the whole story of Ohlins, I am not a MADD SKILLZED rider, so I do not NEED Ohlins as I do not do track days...I guess this makes me a Poser???
IMHO I do not care.
I like to be a lil outta the Normal with everyone and there dogg running Ohlins ????
Mind you my forks will have Ohlins installed soon.

I was serious about a shirt though ??? Possible ??? yes... no ???

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
We usually have some shirts or hoodies around...

Your logic is flawed though bro. It doesn't matter if you are a novice on your first bike or an expert racer with MADD SKILLZ. The more compliant the bike is underneath of you, the more traction you get and the better your tire wear becomes is going to benefit any rider of any skill level. The better your suspension set-up is the faster you can go with less drama. Remember what you are really paying for with suspension is a greater margin of safety and a larger margin of error. You can never have too much of either.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fair enough, again, love how you just say it as it is man.....
I'll upgrade when I can, as I do have an Elka to sell when the time comes... I seem to always miss out on the Ohlins rear shock that come up used. I am just trying to get what I need together at this point, so I can HAVE a good riding year this one, else I would of dropped 1K on a rear. Last year I got 3 weeks into the season before being damn near killed in a near head on, I lowsided instead trying to get back into the turn when the front washed on me. Perhaps A full Ohlins setup could have prevented that ???. Maybe so....Maybe not. I'll have the full Ohlins at some point, as you know... I had contacted you about those forks lil while back.....almost had em too, but gone by a hair.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Well -as always -Mike is as direct with his opinions... and straight to the point.. I have one RC51 2003, with the Ohlins component(forks/internals(OHLINs), rear HO 204..and a2006 RC51, that I attempt to save, in putting a suspension up-grade on- not sure that was done.. GMDcomp did the forks(racetech,and their own combination of tricks), rear Penske shock, re-sprung to match to front...
I am by No Way an accomplished rider, pushing a little further towards the edge each time i ride on the track or road(with in reason)..
The 2003(Ohlins) is easier to recover, controllable when i find -THAT I have done something stupid, and the grace of the suspension, and my GUARDIAN "ANGELS" allow me to save my ass.. I do very little adjusting only when new tires , staight roads, or preparing for the curves are involved... Alot of money spent.. in both(suspensions) bikes.
Best money for the buck... I don't think- I need to say it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know John at Elka too Duckhunter . He is the one that sets my suspension every year . Elka shop is only at 3 hours drive from my house . Let me know if i can be useful here . He sponsors our web site and we wont change for any other product .

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Very cool, I will PM you after work with a thought I had - as mine needs service, a new spring - and I would also like to do the Hydro preload upgrade soonish as per my emails with John last year.

Cheers !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts